Olivetti M10

Wanted to show off my Olivetti M10. An early laptop PC the same basic hardware as the TRS-80 that distinguishes itself with a flip up LCD screen. It has a built-in keyboard with ALPS SKFL and 2 SKFL lock switches. They’re super heavy and bottom out at probably over 100g.
Some of the switches are stiffer and a little mushy, indicating they need cleaning, but I won’t go through the trouble.

The computer itself still turns on, albeit without battery power, and there’s a section of the screen with contrast issues that makes it difficult to use. I’ve cleaned and continuity tested the ribbon connectors, so I believe it may have to do with one of the 8 LCD drivers. They are particularly difficult to access and I don’t have the equipment or expertise to fix it.

Gallery Below

11 Likes

Oh this is very cool! Old laptop KBs that used mechanical switches are super interesting to me since they usually use some esoteric switch like these. Surprised to hear the weighting is so high, but like I said before they used some weird switches in old school laptops LOL! I don’t blame you for not wanting to go through the trouble of cleaning the switches if you’re not gonna use the board. Definitely a nice add to a vintage KB/PC collection though! :ok_hand:

Edit: I wonder if those keycaps are compatible with SKCM/L ALPS switches? I believe those are ALPS manufactured ABS doubleshot caps, which are super nice & thick IME! From the pic it looks like they should be, but there may be differences in dimensions.

1 Like

According to Deskthority, the SKFL series switches were low profile alps switches (somehow having .2 mm more travel than SKCM??) and are constructed in a way that makes them much more difficult to open than SKCM/SKCL switches.

The stem looks the same, but my calipers are broken so I can’t measure precisely atm. But considering the hassle that would come from incompatibility, I would presume they are. They may be shorter though, to accommodate the low-profile nature of the switches(?)

1 Like