On Differences In Linear Switches

Hey all,

There’s quite a few linear switches in that picture above. Are you sure they’re all “basically” the same as each other…?

After having heard the meme of “all linear switches being the same as each other” just one too many times, I’ve finally reached a point where I felt compelled to put that to rest. This weekend, I not only break down the two key differences in linear switches that we’ve all somehow not discussed yet as a community at large but also share how I will be rolling out and expanding these ideas into my content moving forward. It’s all the data driven, thinking-way-too-hard type of switch content you’ve come to expect of me over the years, but I promise you that it’s got strong potential to be useful when discussing linear switches in the future!

Article: On Differences In Linear Switches — ThereminGoat's Switches
Scorecard Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/switch-scores: PDF Repository of switch score sheets.
Force Curve Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/force-curves: PDF and Data Repository of switch force curves.
Patreon: ThereminGoat | creating Mechanical Keyboard Switch Reviews | Patreon

As always, thank you all for the continued love and support over the years. I know this is a bit of a different article than normal, but we are approaching the 4th birthday of the website and I really felt like rolling out something special in addition to the upcoming Meta Update. I really hope this one was exciting for you all to read as it was for me to work on.

Cheers,
Goat :goat:

9 Likes

excellent

4 Likes

Good read as always Goat! I really like the ideal of expanding how we describe linear switches! I’ve always said that there is definitely differences & all linears are not the same. Which is especially true now with the plethora of different plastic blends we can get switches made with. In fact I’d suggest adding a 3rd category to reference different linears by, materials used. As they can have a drastic effect on the feel & sound of the switch IME, even more so than spring & its weighting. Although I do think your two proposed categories of slope & linearity are a great ideal too. I’ll try to do my part & push this new vernacular when discussing linear switches, hope this catches on! Because I have to hard agree with your statement that we have a billion different ways of describing a tactile bump yet zero when it comes to the differing feels with linear switches. Which definitely needs to change.

3 Likes