Over-lubed a stabilizer. Suggestions?

I received my NK65 Milkshake Edition and immediately took some205g0 in a syringe to the stabilizers. Though factory lubed, I was getting terrible clack. Everything went well, save one half of one stabilizer on my left shift. With a little too much pressure and an off-axis press, I sometimes get a little stickiness.

Without tearing the whole board apart, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up a bit of the lube? Would a little bit of oil reduce the viscosity and clear things up? Simply stuff a cotton swab in where I can? Reverse suction of some sort? Tried and true methods, anyone?

Keep in mind that NK65 stabs are plate-mounted.

I’d grab a q tip and try to remove any excess lube that bleeds out as a start that you can access by removing the keycap and dabbing excess lube from the top. You may have to get into some angles to grab the excess lube over the wire

Plate mounted stabs don’t require any disassembly other than pulling off the respective switch. You just need tweezers to un-clip the stabs from the plate and you can easily clean and re-tune it.

I recently did this on my NK65 Aluminum and just wiped off the factory lube with some tweezers and paper towel, then re-did it using 205g0 as well. Since stabs require a lot of lube, you don’t really need to clean the parts thoroughly - as long as you didn’t get a bunch on the exterior of the stem/housings.

1 Like

This is what I was going to say, toothpick might work too

Plate mounted stabs don’t require any disassembly other than pulling off the respective switch.

No way! First time with plate-mount stabilizers, so I had no idea. I’ll give this a whirl.

Since stabs require a lot of lube, you don’t really need to clean the parts thoroughly - as long as you didn’t get a bunch on the exterior of the stem/housings.

Yeah, that’s why I was a little surprised that the amount I put on was causing it to stick. I don’t think I’ve ever over-lubed a stab before!

1 Like