Penguin Switch

My Penguins arrived [ahead of schedule]!

I tried a stock one in hotswap for about 5 seconds, but it was clear the stem was catching. These are meant to be lubed.

So I lubed a couple with 3204, and the spring with its own lube.

The difference was marked. In hotswap, the switches function perfectly, without any hitch.

They are smooth, as if JWK manufactured an Ergo Clear. The stem is only somewhat more tactile than Brown, so I can see why some people don’t like it. The spring weight is a notch above Brown, to match the tactility.

When I started typing on the lubed Penguins, it was actually … kind of pleasant. I was expecting it to be underwhelming, but it was a reasonable weight and level of tactility.

I typed very quickly for a sustained period of time, and noticed that I was likely to fatigue more quickly than with Browns [where I would not experience fatigue for a very long time].

So these stock switches when lubed are kind of like slightly heavier, slightly more tactile MX Browns.

What’s really different about them is the thock. I don’t know if these are thic-thock springs. But it’s all combining to produce a lower-pitch. They are deeper than any Cherry tactile I’ve ever heard, and remind me of Alpacas lubed with 3204. It is really very deep, even with my mediocre lubing.

Wobble is minimal. I don’t know who was talking about wobble, if anyone, but these wobble way less than stock Cherry.

So my overall impression of the lubed stock switch is mildly positive. I can see what people might put an MX Clear stem in them, and I will try that next. The build quality of the switches appears adequate, and the colourway is nicer in person than in the photos. [And it would be an interesting match to Dasher/Dancer].

I am not sure if I will use them in a build or not. I am kind of tempted to order an IKKI68 Aurora and put them in. Some fun build with an attractive case.

7 Likes

Okay, I tried two using MX Clear stems, but everything else the same as before.

I can see why some people might like the MX Clear stems here. I think that the bump may be a little more well-defined. It’s like a whole more ‘rounded’ up-and-down experience.

It’s not quite as deep-sounding as the lubed stock Penguin, and there’s more of a shuffling noise. Maybe I didn’t use as much lube on the stem as before.

It might be preferable to type on this ‘Sky-Penguin’ for some users.

3 Likes

Are you lubing the legs like @keyves?

Not intentionally. I was just lubing crudely the stem rails on the stem, some of which got near / on the legs, and lubing the stem rail guides in the housing.

I could try just lubing the stem legs and see what happens.

1 Like

I wonder, all lubed, how these compare to the Dragonfruits that were just released.

4 Likes

I just got the Dragonfruits as well. Will try to compare soon.
So many tactile switches arrived this week so don’t know where to start.
Ahaha

3 Likes

I agree with your assessment. I’m not super impressed the switch overall, even the lubed ones, but one thing I really like is that deep sound.

1 Like

So the rumours are true.

You can get away with just lubing the legs on an MX Clear stem inside the Penguin housing.

It’s a pretty decent Ergo Clear that way. Nothing special, but it works.

You can even get away with using a 60 G TX spring this way, although I notice that the stem catches a little on the way up if you release it slowly.

I wonder if 62 G TX or Spirit would be a good weight for the Clear-stem Penguins. I don’t have any to test with, just generic 62 G OUTEMU springs from the Bobas.

This all makes me want the OxBlood project even more. A smoother Brown with slightly larger tactile bump that you can run around 60 G.

3 Likes

Please do, I am interested in hearing some thoughts as well!

I was checking out the ox bloods the other day, unfortunately it seems to have fizzled out for the time being.

1 Like

Yes, I noticed the OxBloods had gone quiet. Inadequate sample quality, maybe?

I made 2 Kailh Pro Penguins by putting the Penguin stem in a Pro Purple housing. They’re a little underpowered with the 63.5 G springs when using OEM-profile keycaps, but I didn’t lube them very carefully. Not sure if this is worthwhile.

I also made a Purple Penguin by putting a Pro Purple stem in the Penguin housing. Fairly low tactility, about the same as Pro Purple, used a 62 G spring I found, which is a good weight. But it is noisy, in a bad way. So I can’t recommend it as is.

1 Like

Okay, I also tried an MX Brown stem in the Penguin housing, using a 60 G TX spring.

It actually worked out pretty good. It’s smoother and deeper-sounding than the MX Brown, but the sound is also kind of clunky.

I might enjoy typing on it, and could make more. Although this is an inefficient way to make Browns.

Shared on another post. I thought I would add this here as well.

Ultimately, I think after reading the comments about the Penguins and possibly the Dragon Fruits, I would have been better off buying one of these switches rather than continue to find some use for my old Outemus.

2 Likes

Interesting! Sky Penguins were up for testing next [Silent Sky Penguins, actually, but now I want to try Sky Penguins.]

In my recent experience, putting OUTEMU Sky stems in Cherry MX Clear housings is not the best experience. They cope well with lower spring weights, and can be smooth, but yes, they do wobble, and IIRC the bump is kinda drawn-out.

I would expect similar results in Penguins.

1 Like

As I am typing, I am thinking I will definitely turn these into HPs, but I will wait a month or so to do that. The BSUN housings I got were super tight. I actually ripped my fingers up a bit cracking into them.

1 Like

HPs are still great. I have 50 Halo stems lying around, putting them in the Boba housings led to excellent results with 68 P springs.

I don’t want to do a HP/Holy Boba build, but it’s so tempting.

SAME! I got some from Bolsa, and I was afraid I was going to destroy my hotswap board mounting them on a brass plate.

2 Likes

Figured I would add this here since we have a little thread going on.

5 Likes

I’ve been testing Penguins live in hotswap, connected to a laptop.

I find I am liking the MX Clear Penguins more than the stock Penguins.

Even more, though, I seem to prefer the lone 60 G MX Brown Penguin I made. It’s relatively smooth compared to stock Cherry MX Brown, sounds deeper and less chittery.

Give MX Brown Penguin a chance if you can. It’s like a smoother, deeper-sounding Brown.

3 Likes

I imagine they have to be lubed well to avoid return problems at 60g.

I like them a lot. Very pleasant and tunable switch.

2 Likes