Keyboard Chores: Share your projects!

Bring out the drill instead :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

KBD8X MKII during the build phase.

12 Likes

Nice, I have been thoroughly enjoying my 8X MkII. Hope you feel the same about yours & can’t wait to see the finished product!

2 Likes

Loving the angle of the board a lot. The brass weight is also super hefty!

13 Likes

Trying my hand at making plate foam for my drop alt while I wait for my module foam to show up from kbdfans. My expectations from this are low but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it works recently. (Or if it’ll even all close back together at the end)

Unfortunately on further inspection and trying to reassemble the case, this foam is too thick and I will have to wait.

5 Likes

I spent some time making some Sky Pandas the other day. Outemu V2.2 stem in a Panda housing of your choosing. I chose to go with a 68g Sprit spring.

I am really liking the tactile bump. However I am a little disappointed with the other aspects of the switch. Sound is just ok, there is some stem wobble. I don’t have any Cherry Clears to try, but I think either Outemu stems are kind of crap or the nature of the bump kind of leads these switches to sounding scratchy no matter what. I wish I had some 3203, I would have tossed some on the legs when I had them open.

I think I made slightly modified ergo clears, and these days there are a lot of new switches coming out that are in that space already. The nice thing is that with these housings, I can always turn around and make HPs. I don’t think I am going to be doing that for a while though, I am a little burnt out on cracking switches open now.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks for showing it with Chalk. I’ve wavered back and forth on getting that set, but it does look good on the KDB8X.

I’ve had those new domes and my novatouch sitting on the table for quite a while, one of these days I gotta actually do the swap

1 Like

Have you tried MX Brown Pandas?

I put MX Brown stems in YOK Panda housings [trash panda] using the stock spring [62 G?].

They were incredibly bouncy, and more tactile than regular MX Browns. Very fun, but the noise needed controlling.

I agree that the OUTEMU Sky 2.2 don’t make such a great sound in the Ergo-Clear-like setups, and I have tested them.

Currently, the parts I have most use for in the Skies are the Silent Sky stems. I have been extensively testing them in OUTEMU, MX Clear, and Boba housings.

They seem to have the best balance of smoothness and sound in the Cherry MX Clear housings. OUTEMU is scratchy unless you lube the leaf somehow. Boba is the most stable and good-sounding, but it is very tactile so you need a powerful spring for the Silent Sky stems to function optimally, something like 65 or 68 [manufacturer says 68 G.]

2 Likes

Just finished lubing and filming my set of t1 switches. I got most of the way through lubing and assembling the t1s before I noticed how much they needed films. loooots of housing wobble. so I had to open the 40 or so switches I had already lubed and film them and reclose them! frustrating. But now that they are all done they feel pretty decent but noticeably less poppy in tactility than the zealios v2 which is to be expected I guess. Both my zealios and t1 are in 67g weighting but the t1 feels lighter for some reason. Anyone got a possible reason for that? is it the less tactility? Anyways I like the sound of these switches quite a lot after filming and lubing but I might end up spring swapping these to be slightly heavier.

7 Likes

Getting fruity in the switch kitchen this evening.

Edit:

A satisfying batch of Poli Pandas featuring YOK Red Panda housings, Polia stems, and Kiwi springs.

10 Likes

Fiddling with QMK to make a hybrid-layout for my new kbd67-build.
No pictures though… Could post a screenshot of the editor, but that’s just boring to look at :wink:

3 Likes

Finally trying an ergonomic layout! Build in progress…

Prime-E with Penguin tactile switches.

10 Likes

looks great, going in a Gasket mount p3d case I assume?

1 Like

Yes indeed!

1 Like

11 Likes

No pictures because I’m lazy…

Just changed mounting style (gummyworm->burger) and sound dampening (thick KBDFans case form-> thin EVA foam) on my KBD 8x MKII (alpacas on full PC plate).
Not sure there’s much typing feel difference really, but I think the sound is somewhat worse (comparatively speaking, a minor but noticeable difference).
Will give it a few days, then possibly revert back as I think I actually preferred the previous sound a bit more (case being completely filled with thick foam to the point of compression).

8 Likes

12 Likes

Still waiting on doing that custom 60% ALPS build I’ve been talking about. I got everything together right now, but ended up grabbing one of Keebmeup’s Plain60 ALPS edition PCBs & want to build it with that over the XD ver.3 I have. Although the main keyboard chore I need to do is a deep clean & reorganization of my storage areas.

Got way too many boards wrapped in bubble wrap & boxed up right now. Planning on devoting another shelf on my bookcase to keeb display & putting up at least 2 - ‘3 to 4’ long shelves. One for storage the other for more keeb display real estate. Got all my tools out right now since I’m in the middle of replacing my kitchen floor. So I might as well get the shelving built before I put them all back away. If I’m feeling frisky I may even take a whack at building a stand for keeb storage/display!

5 Likes

XD60 infuriatingly does not support 1.5u in the far right and left positions on the bottom row. It is ok for HHKB, but not WKL or Tsangan.

1 Like