POM Kayak typing test and build info

I set out to make my POM Kayak as distinctive as I could.

Here is the typing test and some of the unusual finishing touches I used on this keyboard.

The switches are Novelkeys Cream switches lubed with PTFE powder

The keycaps are POM blank keycaps

I used a Wheat Fields “Fanoe” imitation Canoe PCB (the soldering kind), and cut off the USB port, installed a USB C breakout board, and filled the opening in the case with epoxy putty for a clean mounting solution.

I added WS2812 RGB LED strips to the PCB and ported the keyboard to QMK so I could control more RGB LEDs than the normal 2 that come with the keyboard (on the top).

Instead of nuts and bolts going through all of the layers, I found brass standoffs that fit into the holes tightly, and used those, combined with superglue, to hold the case layers together.

I filled the tops of the holes with white epoxy, and used flat/countersunk screws on the bottom to screw into the standoffs and hold the bottom plate on.

10 Likes

1 Like

Standoffs:

Screws:

USB C breakout board:

PC Products PC-Marine Epoxy Putty, 2oz Stick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5ORDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c-a9Cb4M8GGYJ

2 Likes

Build streams:

1 Like

Where did you have the POM cut? I’ve gotten some plates from Ponoko, but doing a full build with them would be really expensive.

1 Like

I got it from a group buy @Shoko_Aoi ran!

1 Like

Thanks for this product list of stuff, it’s really helpful!

I’m still waiting on a few parts T_T

Sweet, will be fun to see your spin on it