Post Your Keyboards!

No, not the most glamourish IBM keyboards in the world. But IMO, interesting nonetheless.

These Model M4 and M4-1 keyboards were based on the IBM PS/2 L40SX laptop keyboard assembly (Model M3/M3-based) and inspired the early ThinkPad keyboard assemblies (Model M6-1) that achieved legendary status amongst laptops. Due to seldom information available on these, I’m working on a comprehensive article on their history and legacy that’s due at the end of the month. Consider this a bit of a tease!

The white one is a 1996 Lexmark-made M4 and the black one is a 1999 Unicomp-made M4-1. Both are buckling rubber sleeves keyboards designed to provide a quiet, tactile experience with none of the mush typical of standard rubber domes. IMO again, underrated. Especially when properly cleaned (the exposed sleeves are quite susceptible to dust, unfortunately)

27 Likes

The black version is beautiful.

3 Likes

Every time I see a M4/M4-1, I want to try to make my own mechanical version of it hehe

2 Likes

It would be like a CA-66 with F-keys and an 1u wider on the right hand side. I think it would sell quite a few units.

Throw in a few gaskets, some nobs, maybe an OLED… :joy: :rofl: :joy:

8 Likes

I finally finished my build with the steel case I showed earlier: What's on your workbench today? - #48 by 63N

That’s how it looks like now (not the best picture):

All keycaps are Ducky caps.
The alphas are from the Ultra Violet set, the mods from Tuxedo, and the space bar from Frozen Llama.
It’s a (small) pity that the space bar has not absolutely exactly the same colour as the alphas, but I didn’t like the original pink space that came with Ultra Violet.

14 Likes

TGR Jane v2 with CRP Xerox

27 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like

HHKB with EDIUS caps.

27 Likes

So after months of hunting it down, I finally got it!
GMK Classic Retro Arabic

I tried my best to capture it’s beauty :relaxed:

28 Likes

And you capture it, very nice board !

1 Like

:camera_flash:

29 Likes

Finally got this board in my hand. All debates and memes about OCO pricing aside, its actually a pretty lovely board, and thankfully my unit did not have any ano mismatch altogether.

• TypeMachina x TGR Jane 1.5
  • Cherry topped H1 Switches with 55g Springs
  • C3 V2 Stabilizers
  • CRP 2551 HAD

22 Likes

Rama Kara
Switches: Gat Inks
Keycaps: Geekark BoW

I have gotten to quite into quite a fair number of GBs but this is the first to arrive! Such an easy and quick build! The typing feel is really good! Some vibration to it when typing and I still find myself holding on the function key to hit “Delete” :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

so happy to see you receive your Kara. Also stoked you’re showing off Geekark BoW. I’m in R2 for that. How are the legends, pretty consistent? (looks pretty good from the photo at least)

1 Like

Thanks man! I am glad that I went with Azur colour as I was’t sure if the colour won’t turn out well in real life.

Ah GA BoW is really quite good - I got it from Taobao! The texts are pretty sharp, no warping (at least on my set), and the surface texture is pretty dang smooth! Highly recommend!

1 Like

Built this Monarch for a friend the other week. Happy with how it turned it + these photos I got of it! This thing was heavy as hell haha

27 Likes

Love the engraving on the weight. If I owned this I’d have to keep it upside down all the time.

3 Likes

That’s why I prefer plain weights. It burns my soul to cover them up. :tired_face:

3 Likes

Today I built a small fry with rotary encoder.

30 Likes