Post Your Keyboards!

I love my Portal, the bottom is so unique. It also adds a kind of airy bassiness that’s hard to capture on camera. It’s almost like the airy space in a subwoofer, it helps make it sound premium and heavy even though it’s actually lighter than it’s “cheaper” brother, the sequence. Also love the “cherry lip”, special design feature that I don’t have on any other keyboard yet. I have not heard of the Babylon! Float mount sounds interesting.

I really like how I can swap the two PCB/Plate combos in and out of the sequence and portal. Makes for more variety, which, I hear, is the spice of life. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Sweet sounds like it’s a really nice board! The Babylon is this guy, not quite the looker the Portal is (that Cherry lip is just chef’s kiss!) but very unique mounting. Anyways glad to hear you’re enjoying the Portal & it’s sibling the Sequence!

2 Likes

Wow the Babylon looks sharp, beautiful colors.

1 Like

Recently, I bought an ASUS Rog Flow Z13. It was something I thought was silly when it launched, but as I thought about it, it made more and more sense. My problem with laptops has always been subpar keyboards. This is a difficult area because there are so many important specs when it comes to laptops, that you don’t always get to pick one with a good keyboard.

I took a chance on the Z13, figuring if it was a bad idea, I would return it. That’s where keyboards come in. I initially built an LK67. I wanted something wireless and inexpensive since it would be traveling around with me and could potentially be damaged or stolen. The LK67 fit the task for a while. It was a great size and I couldn’t really ask it for much more… but the mode switch was getting on my nerves. It took almost no force for it to turn on in my bag and kill itself. It may have just been a dud or an easy fix, but I bought the Feker IK75 kit after seeing that the mode switch was on the bottom.

The Feker IK75 stock stabs did not play well with my keycaps, so I purchased a set of snap-in stabs on Amazon. I ordered two different types since I didn’t want to delay the build too long. I’ve never heard of New Fashion Kingdom, but it seemed like the many things that end up on Amazon that are just re-brands. They turned out very nice after some clipping and lubing.

While I was in there, I swapped out the aluminum plate for PC (it comes with the kit). That ended up being a great decision. The PC plate really brings out the tactility of the Anubis switches. I’ll record a sound test a bit later.

Kit: Feker IK75 - Translucent Black
Stabs: New Fashion Kingdom - Krytox on the housings, Dialectical on the wires. Wires were thick and didn’t need much balancing.
Keycaps: GMK Modern Dolch 2 Mist - Many levels of overkill, but they were just sitting in a drawer.
Switches - Anubis - These were lubed and spring swapped by @Deadeye. They are INCREDIBLY tactile. I absolutely love them.
Cable - CableMod Pro Coiled Keyboard Cable (Carbon Grey)

It’s a bit taller than the LK67 since it has an F row, but it ended up being flatter since the feet are collapsible. It fits very nice in my bag. The only other thing I would do is replace the knob. Not because it isn’t good… simply just because. I have no seen any compatible replacements yet. Knob suggestions welcome.

16 Likes

First new build in a while!

Dimple Plus from LazyDesigners + DSA 2077.

27 Likes

Pono on Burgundy :smile_cat:

15 Likes

Could you possibly provide the picture you’re using as background in the Z13? Looks really cool!

Red anodized aluminum keycap on my Leopold FC660C. I only wish the profile matched the OEM keys better, because it’s otherwise extremely good looking and well done.

Source: EscherLabs on Etsy, he also has his own storefront.

10 Likes

Sure, it’s a photo of my EVGA X299 Dark from my bench build.

11 Likes

Modo 2 on Gray Sequence. This board is popping.

12 Likes

Thanks a lot!

17 Likes

So, I recieved my shipment of two KBt:RE’s. I got two so I could send one to a relative as a gag-gift. (Quite literally gag inducing with you think about the IBM PCjr keyboard it’s based on.)

I do have a few first impressions. First, there is some kind of rattling in the keyboard when shaken lightly. Don’t know what it is. I thought it was one of the stabs at first, but I’ve checked all of them and there isn’t any rattling in use.

Second while this is an homage to the PCjr keyboard, and not an attempt to recreate it, there are some things that I think were misses in terms of aesthetics. I won’t go into them here, but there are definitely some things that could have been done better, IMO.

Finally, I gave it a bit of a test run last night for a couple of hours. All I can say is: it really brought back memories of using the original PCjr keyboard for me. Not in the same way: it doesn’t have the issues with keys not actuating properly / sticking. But, just the layout is something that I couldn’t get used to… But that’s at standard thing for me.

I ordered these with Gateron Brown switches, thinking that they might have the tactility that IBM had envisioned (or at least what I believe the envisioned) for the original keyboard. Alas, while the Gat Brown’s are an improvement over MX Browns, they are still too low in the tactility the department for me – even in the use case of a re-imagined PCjr keyboard.

I’ll save the rest of my thoughts for a more thorough write-up to come on No Thoccs Aloud.

15 Likes

Those lazy designers forgot and extra column and split backspace with blocker for simetry !

I finally built the Azalea Portal 65 that I bought on my birthday and I’m loving how it turned out

Azalea portal 65 (8 of 8)
Prevail Epsilons
GMK Serenity
Gateron Ink Stabalizers


23 Likes

Beautiful build

1 Like

Is this still available? I love it but I’m probably gonna do SA dolch.

Rattle might be the wireless dongle in the battery compartment

Funny thing about that: I couldn’t get the dongle out of mine. It’s stuck in there pretty good…I’ll probably have to use something to get it un-stuck.

I built my Frog last night.

Plate: Full polycarbonate
Switches: Oil Kings (62g long), 205g0/105
Stabilizers: TX 1.6T black, 205g0
Keycaps: 21kb classic

This was my first time using Oil Kings. The Oil Kings the truth! These are wonderful to type on, and might be my new favorite switch. This was also my first time using TX stabilizers. And yes, they are very nice. The super tight tolerances are great for rattle elimination. My only gripe is that they are painful as fuck to snap the wires back in. There is tight and then there is TX. My fingers will be sore for a while.

Overall I’m very happy with the build! The sound is wonderful, and the feel is fantastic. I do think there are probably a couple mods I may try to even out the sound throughout the case. I wouldn’t say it sounds hollow but it does kind of vibrate, like a bell. For example if I press the Backspace key with my right hand I can just feel the vibration in the case on my left hand. Anyway, I think the force break mod might help.

13 Likes