Post your Topre boards

HHKB Hybrid Type S :blush: I swapped out the key caps and it didnā€™t take long to get used to blanks, would highly recommend if you havenā€™t tried it already.

8 Likes

How is it using the keys on the top right part of the board? I feel like Iā€™d get lost without legends on all the symbol keys, but I havenā€™t tried it yet. Nice accent key colors on your board too!

Iā€™m not finding it to be much of an issue, I can always peek at my MacBook :+1:

What Iā€™ve found is it cuts out your reliance on legends and in that respect itā€™s kind of liberating. It also heightens your awareness of key feel so Iā€™m a little tempted to try the regular Hybrid or lube this one.

1 Like

Good to know, Iā€™ll have to give it a shot!

@spelunk_punk thatā€™s really pretty, what keycaps are those?

I think theyā€™re from a JustSystems HiPro model.

1 Like

Realforce 104uk

16 Likes

Iā€™m planning to try a Topre keyboard and from my exploring, thereā€™re limited choice: HHKB, Realforce, Leopold, Niz (By the order of expensive). Could you please advise me on which brand I should start with ? And regarding Niz, whatā€™s the gap vs Leopold and HHKB in term of typing experience?

1 Like

The plastic plate of the hhkb just hits different, but if youā€™ve been touch typing like myself for over 27 years, the layout is tough to get used to (looking at you backspace). I hope to get my hands on a hhkb jp in the future as a sort of middle ground, but only if the price is right.

Having used both a realforce and currently using a leopold fc980c, I think both are fine. Leopoldā€™s quality is slightly better imo, but I think it all depends on the layout you want. To be fair, I do own 3 leopolds, 1 c and 2 mā€™s. I ended up returning the realforce because I had the tkl and needed a numpad for work. I do want a hi-pro realforce in the future, also if the price is right.

I donā€™t have experience with niz, but have heard good things. I just canā€™t justify the price of buying one when I can find a used fc660c for slightly more than a new niz.

5 Likes

Also if someone were to make a fc980c plastic plate with integrated housings like a hhkb, well they could just take my money.

3 Likes

My first Realforce board: the PFU Limited Edition R2. While I am currently alternating between an 86U and an 87U for my daily driver, Iā€™ll never forget the one that started it all for me.

Now I am on the hunt for a black Norbaforce to take me one step closer to endgame.

13 Likes

https://imgur.com/HRkYkDe

Bit of an older picture but quite liked how this turned out. Was planning on trowing this into my GoCE Norbaforce mark III but since I got my Realforce 86u my plans have changed

• Realforce 87u black
  • 55g domes
  • Novatouch sliders
  • Lubed PCB with 205g0, conical springs lubed with 107
18 Likes

Olivia looks great on the OG case!

snow in summer

in case anyone is interested:
@norbauer Ghost of Christmas Future
Realforce 86U
55g Topre domes
Sliders lubed with Tribosys 3204
Stabs lubed with Krytox 205g0

20 Likes

2 ea. RF87U, 55g uniform with caps swapped. I kept the black w/white keys (tuxedo) and sold the white w/black keys (stormtrooper). RF87U is daily driver at least until I can get lemo keyboard cables done.

(I shouldnt have sold the stormtrooper board, but it does have a nice home now)

6 Likes

https://imgur.com/VYoA506

RF 91U JIS - originally variable weight unsilenced
Deskeys Pink 40g uniform
Deskeys #2 on alphas/num, #3 mods and nav - thanks @sarvopari! your stuff is put to good use.
Light 205g0 (itā€™s all i got, lol) on housings, pcb per BuddyOG/Unreal Keyboards Topre guide

This was my first time really doing an entire Topre board mostly on my own (except for the plate that needed to be treated and painted to get rid of the unsightly rust.) I definitely could have used a more robust cleaner (ultrasound?) for the grimy sliders which seemed to have trapped a lifetime of gunk in them.

The layout is a first for me as well and takes some getting used to, but overall I am enjoying the Deskey Pinks typing experience and the noise dampening thanks to the thin rings.

5 Likes

Sweeet! Glad you like 'em!

1 Like

Norbauer Heavy 6

14 Likes

HHKB Pro JP with Hasu Bluetooth Controller
Lubed Plum sliders
epbt Kuro/Shiro
Foam pad underneath
Deskeys Silencing rings

15 Likes

with idea23 mods.