Prevail Closing

Sucks to lose a vendor with good products. Look for close-out discounts starting Saturday.

10 Likes

Dammit. This is terrible. Even though I’m pretty stocked up at the moment, I’m for sure picking up the dude’s merch, like at least a Prevail sweatshirt for the time capsule.

3 Likes

Oh no! What a bummer for them and the community - Prevail put out some really killer switches, and had some solid branding to boot. I wish them the best.

4 Likes

Just picked up some of the Emogogo Hybrids from them and really like them… Will have to stock up…

:cry:

1 Like

Bummer.

In relatively short time, I have heard about this vendor, 3dkeebs, and Zap cables all closing.

Nothing last forever I guess, all the best to this people.

4 Likes

I’m still shook about zap and can’t find a worthy successor atm. Most other outfits out of my budget.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t have picked Originative to outlast them all. Oco got that big roach energy :cockroach:

Have to laugh when they announce green BSP sets in stock through Thocstock. Really? You have that set in stock? The one you’ve had in stock for 2 years?

Sorry, being toxic. I’ve spent a lot of money over the years with Oco. Shouldn’t be throwing shade.

I guess they can last because they haven’t tried to grow their business much. Typemachina’s failure was probably a good thing for them in the long run.

2 Likes

I wonder how much the launch/recall on the BadSeed Tactiles factored into this closing? Either way, really sad to see good shops close.

2 Likes

Oh man, this is bad news. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I never had anything but good experiences with OCo… their prices sometimes make me roll my eyes, but on good stuff, it’s good.

Sorry I’m just hearing about Prevail, and wish them the best.

1 Like

What happened to Zap? Have been semi out of the scene, and just went to check in and their cupboards are bare!

1 Like

Closed down over the summer? of 2022. I think John wanted to focus on other endeavors. Sold off his extra parts and also closed up the Discord a few months after.

Excellent business and I wish someone just as good took up the mantle. He was making Realforce adapters/cables which was indispensable for me.

1 Like

Man that sucks to hear- he really put out quality products, and I did want to try a DIY cable at some point.

1 Like

I remember when they released and sold-out in minutes, but I didn’t hear about the recall - what happened there?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/yvzn7f/badseed_tactile_issues_and_solutions/

THE ISSUE: Their latest revised bottom housings have too much play resulting in stem wobble. The long stem in combination with this is causing the issue. Its creates a lever-like effect on full bottom out and causes juuuust enough play for it to break contact with the leaf resulting in a reset.

This doesn’t generally reveal itself in typing bc its very few situations where you would depress and then rock a switch back and forth vertically. It also doesn’t occur if you activate the switch dead center and press it straight down, release it straight up. In typing, the most you will likely see this is in mod combos where you hit shift+ something ctrl+ something etc. Most humans don’t hit stuff on lower rows dead center.

This generally reveals itself in gaming where you’re probably hitting WASD off axis or spamming WASD and then holding to initiate movement.

It also didn’t show itself in factory QC testing bc the mechanical testers - by design - depress the key straight down and do not wiggle the key on full depress.

This also doesn’t occur on the prototypes or the hundreds of Monkey Type runs I ran my personal set of final retails through. Though full disclosure, I did have one switch on a 90 count that was fully defective and had chatter.

5 Likes

F

I always really liked Prevail & thought they’d have a stable future as a vendor since they got their store on par with the top ones really quick. I guess that may be part of the bad decisions they’re saying they made though. Definitely a big time shame to lose them… :sob:

3 Likes

Discounts are pretty good. I price checked most items and they are genuinely reduced a fair amount. I bought $103 worth of stuff so that I could get free shipping.

2 Likes

Yeah with the discounts the prices are pretty damn good. Was tempted to stock up on some things, but money be tight for me right now so I just got 2 packs of Spirt 55g prog. springs & a pack of TX 55g L springs.

1 Like

Same here. Cleaned the dude out of Spirt Slow Extreme I 60g. Yup, the dude sure did price his remaining stock to move.

2 Likes

It’s frustrating that so much of the knowledge on all of these discords can be lost so easily. Information about building keyboards/cables/etc and then also code and compiled firmwares for keyboards. Maybe not all of that on zap but it’s definitely on other discords that have closed down. I like that at least keebtalk is theoretically being preserved on archive.org

7 Likes