Read any good books lately?

I’ve been making an effort to read more books lately and am always looking for a solid recommendation. Here are the two I’m currently enjoying:

1. Chasing New Horizons: Inside the Epic First Mission to Pluto
  2. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
6 Likes

This shit is 10 years old, but whatever:

1 Like

Look I don’t even know how to read.

2 Likes

Gideon the ninth and already have the second book of the series waiting for me.

2 Likes

Gideon (and the 2nd book) were totally unexpected but a complete delight to read. Second book is a very special experience… :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been reading the Hyperion Cantos lately.
Old, and a bit slow to get into, but really nice once you get immersed into the universe.

Before that it was Roadside Picnic. Highly recommended classic!

1 Like

I can’t say I read as often as I like; certain facts of my neurology make it easy for me to write but often difficult for me to read more than small nibbles continuously.

The exception to that is when a book manages to keep me fascinated. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve read it, but one of a few books I’ve read more than once is Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke:

When I first read this back in middle-school, it changed my life.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying the below book so far. A sound engineer gone neuroscientist explores the science and mystery of music. Not just for those that create music either!

2 Likes

Ted Chiang’s Exhalation for me! :slight_smile:

Have you read Oliver Sack’s book on music? It’s dry but good

I haven’t, but I’ll put it on my list! I usually prefer dry.

1 Like

If you’re into Fantasy Epics, Brandon Sanderson’s “The Stormlight Archives” is literally the GOAT in the making.

The Gideon/Harrowhark books were great, looking forward to the next one; The Traitor Baru Cormorant left a mark; N K Jemison’s Broken Earth trilogy and The City We Became also +++++

1 Like

I mainly read Warhammer 40,000 novels from the Black Library as my way to stay in touch with the hobby. However, I picked up Coming of Age in the Milky Way by Timothy Ferris and I’ve been really enjoying it!

2 Likes

I just reread A Brief History in Time by Stephan Hawking. It’s pretty much the most referenced science book of all time. The audiobook is awesome, robot voice is optional of course.

Whatever origin story you subscribe to, the math shows that the Universe wasn’t created for us. The bulk (99.999%) of the Universe’s timeline will exist without light or even periodic elements. Just gravity.

1 Like

I recently finished Remembrance of Earth’s past trilogy. Can’t really explain why I reccomend it so highly without dropping spoilers but it is just incredible.
First book is called The Three Body Problem.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani if you’re into that kind of fantasy books.

Do comics count as books? Because if so then I’ve recently started reading sex criminals and it’s actually a pretty good read.

1 Like

I enjoyed these two for sparking some ideas:

1 Like