Silencing upstroke of stabs

@Walkerstop, do you have a link to the o-rings you bought? I’m interested in trying this out. Nice find by the way. The keyboard in your video sounds great.

Yes, here are the ones I bought
uxcell 100Pcs 4mmx1mm Nitrile Rubber O-rings Heat Resistant Sealing Ring Grommets Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTNJ7FI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ahHuBbFS2Z77Y

Ok I get it now that you’ve shown us what the mod itself is. Also I realize why the unmodded one sounded a little better to me in your original videos. I was focusing on the overall sound & honestly paying more attention to the bottom out (kinda dumb of me considering the post title, LOL! :crazy_face:) Although seeing this video & hearing a few more typing test from you has convinced me to give this mod a shot, as it does definitely definitely silence the upstroke pretty well.

As far as the band aid mod, I’ve pretty much given up on that. I’ve tried band aid pieces (no real difference in bottom out feel or sound IME & a huge dirt/dust magnet), electrical tape (again no real difference in bottom out feel or sound IME & a huge dirt/dust magnet also), then switch films (still no real noticeable difference in bottom out feel or sound IME, but not so much of a dirt/dust magnet). The silicone pads are something I never thought of which might make an appreciable difference in bottom out feel or sound & shouldn’t be a dirt dust magnet. Think I’m gonna give this a try on my next build using MX switches! :metal:

Thanks for the videos! Currently dealing with some upstroke noise for the first time on a build, and the detailed discussion of the causes is very helpful.

FWIW, I just tried the 0.5mm thick pads in a build for all of the stabilizers, using the 6.3mm center cutouts exclusively. The stabs were clipped. I didn’t notice any reduction in travel. I’ve used vinyl electrical tape before, and compared to that, I think this has a nicer feel - the vinyl tape muted the sound a bit but didn’t really absorb the impact, whereas these pads absorb just enough impact for the sound and the tactility to seem more consistent with each other, if that makes sense. Hard to beat peel-and-stick for ease of installation, too. I liked them, and will probably continue to use these for other builds going forward.

3 Likes

Some follow-up cautionary advice with the 0.5mm silicone pad mod. For many builds, I’ve been able to get away with placing the pad under the stabilizer housing and having the housing rest on the pad as I screw the stab in; the additional vertical displacement of the stabilizer due to the compressed silicone pad sitting underneath it hasn’t been an issue. Until now. With a Tofu HHKB build, the spacebar wire is close enough to the integrated plate that the additional displacement causes the stab wire to hit the plate.

At least three possible solutions:

1. Remove the silicone pads and go without this mod, which is what I did for the time being.

2. Trim the pad so that it fits cleanly within the walls of the stabilizer housing. Doable, but possibly a finicky operation.

3. Find a thinner silicone pad or sheet, with adhesive.

2 Likes

Wow this looks awesome the upstroke on my space bar is the only “noisy” thing on my M60-A. I’ll try this out on my next build.

1 Like

Did anyone try this mod with plate mounted stabilizers?

I’ve only used this mod with plate mount stabs. With some PCB mount stabs it allows the stab slider to pull out of the housing.

I would suggest trying this mod without the o-ring. It feels better and is still quiet. For PCB mount stabs I’m trying a new, better mod though:
https://www.keebtalk.com/t/walker-stabilizer-mod-v2-prototype/4621/2

1 Like

Nice, I’ll give it a try without the orings on a tada68 I have around.

Yeah, I saw that second prototype, that’s how I found out about this one, however it looks quite complicated, I don’t think I can pull that one out :slight_smile:

Resurrecting this. I haven’t watched your new vid yet. Now that I have more ABS sets, I’m noticing that the spacebar upstroke on an alu plate, even well lubed to my preference, still can sound a little rattly at times in actual typing - though it doesn’t when I’m just testing it. I may give the o-ring a try, since the PCB is hotswap and I can try the mod easily.

For those who’ve tried it, how’ve you liked it over time?

Anyone put a silicone pad under the spacebar wire, in the middle, on the PCB itself? Could that help, your opinion?

(The wire looked balanced to me when I built it, so I don’t think there’s a fundamental issue like that. Not really interested in Holee mod since I like a crisp feeling and am not looking to silence them in general.)

2 Likes

That sounds a bit par for the course with ABS and aluminum IMO. I try and pair up ABS with FR or even PC to help keep the clack while helping to loose any upstroke rattle, especially for the spacebar. I think it originates with how the stab stems shimmy around the housing during fast actuation and how that reverb gets transferred up to the keycap and then back down to the plate.

That might help, but if your wire is decently straight, I’m not sure how much this will actually help. What about a bit of spacebar foam or have you checked if it’s that particular switch’s top housing? I do this to help rule that out.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I’ll try that test.The CJs do have a higher-pitched top out, so that’s an element.

The wire is decently straight, so I don’t know that I’ll pursue a pad. Putting a little unused thin case foam in the spacebar might help. I’ve seen the prefab kits but have also thought that seemed like too much dampening for me based on reports.

TBH I also brushed some additional dielectric over the part of the front stabilizer assembly where the wire clips and enters the housing. After actuating a bit to let it settle, that’s helped on its own.

1 Like