Silent tactile switches

Would you recommend this deluxe silent lime? I might consider doing it too since I have few of the lime stems now

1 Like

With the stock, unlubed sping? I wouldn’t recommend it just yet.

It’s a bit awkward and noisy with the stock [Lime] unlubed spring.

Properly-lubed with something like a lubed OUTEMU 55 G spring? Maybe. I suppose I’ll have to try that.

BTW do you happen to know what kind of spring the Silent Lime/Lemon uses?

It seems to be very large, resembling some 22mm springs I’ve seen.

I will see if I can try it in the Boba LT housing with a more reasonable OUTEMU or Spirit 55 G spring.

Wondering if anyone here has tried the Gamakay Pegasus switches. I saw a video on the tubes that made them seem quieter than almost anything, and they seem to be totally inexpensive as well.

It is made by Outemu afaik, same silencing method as the Outemu silent lime

Speaking of GamaKay, they have 4 new Outemu made switches and some of them they say are silent. They are made with newer (or different?) Outemu molds so it would be interesting to know how they are

Edit: Nvm, the video in the description indicates that they are not silent https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/b5abcb442d7c4ea1b847e761d10d3e7c.mp4

1 Like

Just FYI, there is an OUTEMU Silent Tactile called “Butter Yellow Pro” available for Black Friday sale.

Part of a “Cream Pro V2” lineup.

I haven’t checked to see where exactly they fit in the lineup, but they are said to be a “Cream Yellow Pro” that is properly factory-lubed [whatever this means, I don’t know.]

I did receive some “Silent Yellow Jade” some time back, and they were okay. Seemed to “ring” less than the early Silent Cream Yellow did.

3 Likes

Finally got around to order TTC Silent Brown V2 and received them today. The occasion is a new keyboard that took very well to Bluish White and I have been using them for over a month, and still they feel a bit too aggressive for me. Having read the posts about different pole shapes on TTC silents, I was still not expecting this surprise:

Compared to my flat-poled browns, these are much quieter, and obviously a bit softer on the bottom-out. Was sort of starting to dig the punch on the bottom, but I won’t complain. Ordered from TTC SWITCH store on aliexpress.

2 Likes

I received samples of those as well.

My immediate thoughts was that they felt like a silent light-medium, such as a silent Durock Medium Tactile.

In general, silent tactiles tend to be heavier than Browns. Although there are exceptions.

So yes, to reiterate, I think that TTC Silent Brown V2 are heavier than most “Browns.”

I was recently told that the force curve for Silent Brown V2 seems like it is a lesser Bluish White.

Could you tell me how you think Silent Brown V2 compares to the Bluish White?

The Bluish White has a larger bump that requires more force to get over it. However, once past the bump the Silent Brown becomes heavier again, or at least it looks that way when I push these switches against each other. The Cherry MX Brown has a stronger spring than TTC Silent Brown but not by much.

A much lesser Bluish White when it comes to the tactile bump. They remind me of heavier outemu limes with this round pole. I can’t use the Limes, they’re too light for my fingers but Silent Brown is my perfect weight and preferred tactile feel.

It’s a real shame they are not marketing the different pole shapes, it makes it a very different switch, probably even more so for the Bluish White, because the force needed to get over the hump and relatively little resistance after it you’re pretty much bound to bottom it out unless you’re typing very precisely. It reminds me of a typewriter. As for the browns, I only have 2 of the flat poled ones but it’s easier not to bottom them out, or at least do so gently.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. You’re not the only one to say TTC Bluish White is like a typewriter!

And you’re right that it would be helpful if they marketed the stem shapes better. And that goes for light-tactiles too.

2 Likes

More than just the stem shapes (from which it can be tricky to infer the actual key feel), but rather accurate and standardized measurement of the force curves.

Theremin Goat is a great resource for all of the force curve data that have been all gathered with consistent equipment and methodology.

2 Likes

It seems that these came out a few months ago:

Anyone here try them yet? I’m highly tempted to give them a shot…

3 Likes

Here’s a review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetKeebs/comments/17jt28w/akkos_first_silent_tactile_switch_akko_penguin/

Someone said that they are like a silent Cream Blue.

2 Likes

Some more information about OUTEMU’s Silent Yellow series has come out.

The OUTEMU Silent Jade Yellow (Topaz) is 5 G lighter than the Silent Cream Yellow:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006119943987.html

According to this retailer, above:

Compared with the Outemu Cream switch, the outer shell of the Outemu Jade switch is more transparent, and the conduction force of the yellow switch has been reduced from 50g to 45g

So, basically, the Silent Cream Yellow and Silent Jade Yellow probably share the same design. But Jade is transparent [obviously], and 5 G lighter.

I noticed my samples purchased in the summer did seem lighter-than-expected. The overall switch is just somewhat more tactile than Silent Lime. So it’s like a Silent Lime with a more D-shaped bump [and way better factory lube.]

Incidentally, the factory lube of the Silent Jade Yellow was okay, when tested a few months ago.

There was no ringing or pinging as there was with the V1 Silent Cream Yellow. However, there was a squishy / shuffling noise. It was louder and more hollow-sounding [echoey] than Silent Lime hand-lubed with 3204. But that’s an unfair comparison.

Overall, the Silent Yellow Jade (Topaz) and Silent Cream Yellow Pro V2 (Butter Yellow) probably represent the most advanced, best-lubed switches in the Silent Yellow line-up.

2 Likes

Another review of the Akko silent penguin

https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetKeebs/comments/195mobq/tactile_switch_review_akko_penguin_silent/

3 Likes

Hi, fellow silent tactile obsessive! I got some Akko Penguins recently and find them pretty good.

Pros:

• One of the quietest silent tactiles I’ve found
  • More tactile feedback than is typical for the quiet end of things – less than a Boba U4, but more than a Silent Lemon

Cons:

• Leaf spring ping is there, though doesn’t seem to be in every single one I’ve tried. Not nearly as bad as T1’s/Blue Macaws, but it’s there if you actuate it close to your ear. I don’t tend to hear it from typing distance.
  • Opaque housing, so not backlight compatible

Neither pro or Con:

• Very light weight spring (not my thing, but a lot of folks here sound like they prefer that)

Overall, it’s not in my top 2-3 silent tactiles, but was good enough that I bought a keyboard’s worth to try out (and thanks to a lost-then-found shipment, I have two keyboard’s worth).

(Not sure why it’s complaining about having the link when I quote your post, but removed it to get this to post.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the notes. I’ve actually ordered a set of 10 penguins to try out. Given that I liked an Akko Cream Blue sample, I figure that these are worth at least testing for me. Disappointing to hear about potential ping issues. I find that quiet annoying for “silents”.

I think the forum software automatically places some restrictions on brand new accounts (just as a preventative measure against spam bots). However, I believe these restrictions are automatically lifted after being active on the forum for a bit.

1 Like

Ahhhh, ok, anti-spam makes sense. At least it let me quote you. People just hit the anchor link and look at the link in your post.

Fantastic thread. I’m also a silent tactile obsessive collector, and wanted to share my experiences about a few switches that hadn’t gotten as much coverage here, but that I’d recommend. All are on the heavier feedback, and thus slightly louder, end of the spectrum. I’ve arranged them from quietest/lightest feedback to loudest/heaviest feedback.

Redragon Stars

There’s sometimes “A120” I see with these – no clue if that’s a product number or what? Seem to be a fairly recent release, also fairly cheap. Decently quiet, with only a little housing collision noise, much like Outemus with a slightly higher pitch. Slightly stronger feedback, as well. One downside I’ve run into is the lack of the extra plastic pins for stability does limit what boards I can use them in. That said, they are pretty great in a rehabilitated/retrofited Das Keyboard I made recently.

Lichicx XCJZ Crimson Red / Invokeys x Alas Daydreamer

Originally found in a sample from someone on eBay, tracked down more via mkzealots and kprepublic. Then Invokeys dropped their version which is honestly a lot easier/faster to get a hold of (also more colorful, if you’re into it).

As TheraminGoat noted, the Crimson Red and Daydreamer are practically the same switch. There IS a difference in spring weight, and I find I much prefer the heavier weight of the Daydreamer. The Crimson Red has caused me some headaches in a few boards with finicky stabilizers – the spring return is so light, the stabilized key will get stuck sometimes.

Lichicx Raw Silent Tactile

Comes in two versions, “big” and “small” bumps. The small bump is on the MX Brown end of the spectrum, but there if I look for it. Big bump has strong feedback, though it almost feels like there’s more on the up stroke than the down? Slightly louder than Boba U4’s, probably due to the stronger feedback, especially on the end of the upstroke where it slaps against the top of the housing.

Big bump one is my current favorite for installs that need transparency for backlighting and require 5 pins for stability. (For stuff that can get away with 3 pins, the TTC Bluish-White is my favorite.) I actually prefer these over the Boba U4 RGB’s, though it’s close.

I took some apart and I honestly could not tell the difference between the stems for the two tactile versions – maybe the bump difference is in the contacts?

These are only slightly louder than the Crimson Red/Daydreamer, likely due to the top housing being polycarbonate instead of nylon.

Haimu x Geon Yellow Silent Tactile

These were mentioned, I believe, but most folks didn’t seem that interested, which surprised me. These are currently my favorite opaque silent tactile. They are some of the loudest due to their dampening system (uses plastic flanges instead of silicone), but also has some of the snappiest feedback. Also cheaper – not as cheap as Outemus, but much less than their cousins the Whisper.

zFrontier Rem

More “muted” than silent, but still quiet enough I’d consider it a “silent tactile.” On the higher pitched end of things, as well. For all the extra noise, you get a lot of tactile feedback for it. Most of the noise seems to be from housing collision? The LED condenser is nice, but it doesn’t let as much light through as the Lichicx Raw’s.

Hope that info is helpful for folks!

3 Likes

I have been using and comparing the Akko Silent Penguins to Outemu Cream Yellow Silents. The two switches are quite similar on first sight, the main difference being that the Penguins have less resistance and a bit more travel. On paper, the Penguins should have 43g actuation force vs 45g for the Cream Yellows, but the Penguins feel significantly softer. Otherwise, in terms of sound/noise and feel they are both quite similar.
After using them for about two weeks now, I also noticed the ping issue, that the Cream Yellows don’t have. In addition to that, the bump on the Cream Yellows feels nicer to me, and I prefer the slightly shorter key travel.

All in all I prefer the Outemu Cream Yellow Silents, but the Akko Silent Penguins are not a bad choice if you prefer a lower actuation force or a bit more key travel.

2 Likes