Silent tactile switches

WRT snagging switches at some point, the INEDA Digital Store on AliExpress is known to slip samples in with regular orders:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/910558120

They have even created custom sample packs upon request. So if you are going that route, you might want to ask them just to ship exactly what you want [Silent Cream Yellow, those “Tactile Milk Tea,” and so on.]

Then again, it may only work for OUTEMU switches.

1 Like

Turns out the written review comments were pretty accurate!

I received a sample of OUTEMU Silent Cream Yellow today.

They are in-between a Durock Light Tactile and a T1 in tactility. Making them kind of a silent Durock Medium Tactile. If we use the Silent Lime as a comparison, the Lime is more like a DLT.

So they are a lesser-T1. Maybe with more of a D-shaped bump. Like 60% of a U4.

Coincidentally, I received samples of WS [Wuque Studio] switches today also.

In terms of tactility, I would rate them:

OUTEMU Silent Lemon / Lime < OUTEMU Silent Cream Yellow < WS Gray

The WS [Silent] Gray is about 20-25% more tactile than the Silent Cream Yellow. It’s almost a T1.

Interestingly, both the Silent Cream Yellow and the WS Gray have decent factory lube. Especially the Cream Yellow.

The Silent Lemon / Lime has the most chuffing and squishing sounds [it benefits heavily from lubing]. The Cream Yellow sounds pretty much okay, with a minimal leaf-friction sound. The WS Gray is almost as good, but has a louder bottom-out.

You could basically use the WS Gray and especially the Cream Yellow stock in builds, if you’re not too discriminating.

Personally, I still prefer the typing characteristics of the Silent Lime, so I will be using those. But if I wanted to type on some baby U4s for quick and cheap, the Cream Yellow would be irresisitable.

EDIT: Upon further reflection (and testing) I might revise the tactility upwards:

OUTEMU Silent Lime [DLT - light DMT range] > OUTEMU Silent Cream Yellow [DMT - Durock Twilight with 14mm 65 G spring] > WS Gray [slightly toned-down T1 variant with 14mm 65 - 67 G spring].

In reality, the WS Gray has a normal 15mm 63.5 G spring, and it’s comparable to 63.5 G Spirit.

Anyway, Cream Yellow being 60-75% of imagined U4 Boba, WS Gray 80-85%.

I think both of the above are inspired by U4 Boba, whereas Silent Lime takes its inspiration from Silent Forest.

3 Likes

There is a new silent tactile switch available from Mode Designs called Anthracite. It is manufactured by Outemu. I’ve had the joy of using it for a few weeks already and I can recommend it for those who would like a heavier but lower tactility switch. The product page says 62g bottom-out but I would have guessed that it is heaver. My initial impressions were quite bad as my hands just felt lethargic. After using them for a few days I got used to it and now enjoy them.

The dampening material is quite soft, haters of “mushy” beware. But it is also more silent than the Boba U4 (68g) though the sound they give is quite pleasant and consistent.

If anybody else has tried them I would like to hear your thoughts.

1 Like

Now I’ve had Outemu Citrus Fruit (Lemon/Lime) and Silent Cream Yellow for a week. The latter has a great feel, I’d love to use them if it were not for an unpleasant extra sound most of the 110 switches I ordered to some degree. Here’s an m4a audio clip with one good switch and another that was particularly loud with this sound. I think it’s the leaf/stem rubbing that produces this sound but I had no luck getting rid of it with lube. For a while I tried not to let it bother me, but it do.
Did I get a bad batch?

2 Likes

That clicky-ringy sound? Yes, I would say a percentage of my switches have that sound. Maybe 10-30%

I didn’t notice it at first, just subconsciously until you pointed it out. The NCR-80 in question is my loudest ‘silent’ keyboard. I could barely hear the ringing over the noise of the sharpness from the tape mod.

My truly silent keyboards use hand-lubed switches [OUTEMU Silent Sky stems], in dampened chassis, so my voluminous NCR-80 is loud by comparison.

I suspect the noise in question comes from springs that are not sufficiently lubed. If you were to open your switches and generously bag lube the springs, it might remove or reduce the offending noise. In truth, even the luxury U4 Boba switches recommend at least spring-lubing. You might try that.

Tell me, are the Citrus Fruit making similar noises? It’s not a huge concern for me at the moment, because mine are already lubed.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered some Outemu Silent Greys. Still waiting for them to arrive. I only just recently heard about the Silent Cream Yellow, which seem interesting as well, and I was looking for a direct comparison between these two as well.

By the way, it looks like the Redragon switches are rebranded versions the Outemu switches, with the Redragon QT Lime being identical to the Outemu Silent Lemon. I also think the Redragon QL Peach is identical to the Outemu Silent Peach (but those are linear switches). I mention this, since I first tried out the Redragon switches at a Micro Center, where they had a display with a key tester with all of their switches. However, the Redragon switches are way overpriced compared to what you can get the Outemu equivalents for.

2 Likes

Yes, the OUTEMU silents are very competitively-priced.

From reading only, I think that the Silent Greys are similar to the Silent Limes. The Limes may be a rebranded Silent Grey. But I’m not sure.

Silent Lime is basically a silent Brown, or a very light Ergo Clear like a 60 G Zealio V1.

Silent Cream yellow is much closer to a U4 Boba, but dialed down.

In both cases, you’ll want to lube the springs if doing an expensive / intensive custom build. They will let down the overall silence if left unlubed.

The Silent Cream Yellow may not need switch lube on the stem / housing, although it is probably desirable. The Silent Lime will definitely want it, as the lubed versions are definitely quieter and deeper than stock.

I have tried Silent Peach. It is a nice silent linear, I might even prefer it over Bobagum. But it definitely needs lube. And only Silent Cream Yellow uses the new housings, which are almost as tight and straight as U4 Boba. Seriously, with Cream Yellow, it’s like you’re not typing on MX switches anymore, due to lack of wobble. [Okay, N-S wobble is still somewhat present. But E-W is very low.]

1 Like

No, not this exact sound as far as I can tell. They just sound a bit dry which is not an issue for me tbh :slight_smile:

As for the Silent Cream Yellows, my attempts at lubing the springs in various amounts have had no positive results. It is some stem-leaf interaction making it, and I think I know for sure because once I was putting it together and absentmindedly turned the top housing the wrong way, the leaf got cramped in to the LED light slit. It still worked, though barely tactile after it, and that sound was gone completely.
This sound is also present in Boba U4 as well as the Anthracites which I am using a lot, it’s just more consistent and accompanied by other sounds as well. The Silent Cream Yellow really takes the prize in the competition for quietness, just wish my batch was more consistent.

The next switch I’d like to try is TTC Silent Brown V2 after hearing @Deadeye 's recording of it. I have Silent Bluish White but the tactility is a bit too aggressive for me.

3 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying, and TTC Silent Brown V2 is probably worth trying.

I was never a fan of TTC Browns, but their Bluish White is pretty impressive, so maybe I’ll order some Silent Brown samples one day.

1 Like

Looking for a [boxed] heavy (60-70g) silent tactile

I summon the resident switch doctors for help!
For an upcoming ham radio field project, I (wisely) refrained from small footprint switches and decided to build a 40% ortholinear Planck-style JJ40 in this piece of stainless metal junk:

I chose this particular case because…
  1. it is sturdy,
  2. relatively cheap, and
  3. it can be expanded to hold additional circuitry.

However, I do realise that the sound will be bad; hence the need for silent tactiles. I love the 68g weight and tactile bump of the factory lubed/filmed Gazzew U4Tx, and almost considered buying the silent U4 version. This is when I realised that the latter are not boxed. Being boxed is important for this project as the keyboard will be taken in the open field and see a lot of dirt.

What would be a commercial equivalent of a boxed Gazzew U4 heavy silent tactile?
Or do I need to jump into the rabbit hole of frankenswitches?

Please, help. :pray::pleading_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure there’s anything that completely fits the bill exactly, but there are definitely some candidates.

Stock switches:

• TTC Silent Bluish White - has a bump not too different from a U4, if maybe a little easier to crest. Less leaf sound but overall not as quiet as U4s thanks to the more firm dampening. Won’t be harsh but will make plenty of audible sound in that case.

• Kailh Midnight Pro Silent Tactile - has a decent medium-strong bump, maybe a little more mild than the U4 and SWB. Similar dampening characteristics to the TTCs - might be worth trying a sample to see if you prefer it.

• Kailh Silent Box Brown - so, depending on which batch these are from, these are either really mild or pretty punchy tactiles, and I’m not really sure where the inconsistency comes from - but I mention these because they have better dust resistance than other switches that just have boxed stems. Kailh’s Box switches in particular have a semi-sealed compartment for their contacts and have an IP56 dust resistance rating. These have a similar volume to the last two, but with some added noise thanks to the extra parts. This is the pick if dust resistance is the most important thing.

Franken suggestions:

• Nip the tip: One fairly simple if tedious option would be to get U4Tx switches and use some flush cutters to cut off the bottom section of the pole. Not the most elegant solution, but as long as you can avoid deforming the pole shape and shorten it enough so that the pads fully compress before the pole hits bottom, it should work and be consistent.

• Box franken: Kailh Silent Box Brown top on a Box Royal bottom; what you get is a Silent Box Brown with a punchier tactile event. The only downside is the tendency of Kailh Box switches to increasingly make light clicking noises as the lube wears off of the contact pusher. It is a sharp sound, but it isn’t loud. If consistency is more important than quietude, you can use a thin / light lubricant on that part to encourage the clicking. I’ve had less consistent results trying to discourage it - if I find a good way to do that I’ll share. If that modest noise level is acceptable, this might be the overall closest option to the use-case.

2 Likes

@Deadeye Thank you very much for these suggestions. I first will need to give it a deep thought and let it sink in.

I guess I’ve hit on a «currently unsatisfied market opportunity»
and hope that the switch manufacturer marketing gurus are reading this as well. :person_in_lotus_position: :moneybag:

1 Like

@Deadeye quoting you in the “Random Questions Thread”, which I only found now— that’s why I hate that mashup of a thread; can’t find a thing—

So, what about replacing the spring of Outemu Silent Cream Yellows for a heavier one? After all, if I am not mistaken, GAZZEW switches come from the Outemu factory and the tops and stem dampening look similar.

Where would I find such heavier springs? What specification would these need to resemble 68g GAZZEW U4Tx?

EDIT: I think, I found them.
I am still very interested in your expert opinion about feasibility and expected results, though.

3 Likes

Yep, totally forgot about those having the boxed stems - and those do look like the right springs.

2 Likes

Taking in account that I’m in the mech keeb field only from some months, as for sure not knowledgeable as @Deadeye and other great members, if you want to stay on cheap side with Outemu I think the TOM silent tactile could be another good choice too. Here’s the specs (taken from an Ali seller):

I’ve bought some of them recently and I’m just waiting for a poron sheet and upper case for my new GMK67 to swap them from my actual Outem SIlent Ocean, which are linear, but even from a quick “hand test” and one mounted on my Feker IK75 I already appreaciated them a little.

Will let you know once mounted on the whole board, as until now I was just a linear guy :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I couldn’t have put it better.

But would the WS Silents count as boxed, as well?

The WS silent tactile is fairly hefty, if memory serves. But yes, BOX Silent Brown is the one designed primarily for being dustproof.

I think the Silent Tom is more of a medium tactile, closer to Silent Forest than U4.

1 Like

@Deadeye The IP56 dust rating and seeing the switch interior in below video got me convinced that this is indeed the best boxed silent tactile switch for this particular application. Even more so, as the switches will be soldered to the board. To make them heavy, I will swap the springs out with 71.5g Box Kailh springs.

1 Like

I don’t think so. As explained in below video, the Outemu TOM top housing is of an older, inferior mold that produced some issues.

3 Likes

Thanks for the video, didn’t saw it with others I saw in the past months, but from it seems like Creamy Yellow could be definitely more silent.

Anyway, since I’ve already bought a 90 pack of TOM will try then anyway and see the outcome :crossed_fingers:

Is strange that from a test pack of Outemus I took on Ali, trying a Cream Yellow stock on my IK75 didn’t gave that silent feel that Ocean and TOM gave me (already stock too, with the former not factory or hand lubed while the latter is factory lubed).

I suspect the top-out ticking on the Toms comes from a little play in the top housing; lubing and filming the Toms should give you a plenty quiet final product.