Six Speed Situations (Car Enthusiast Thread)

For the last ten years or so I was riding a pake rum runner with my own hand built wheels (all city hubs with open pro rims) and oscillated between flat bars and bullhorns, and carried various giant backpacks through the years. I ran 48/17 on that one. Last year I realized as I’m getting older the backpack + track geometry and steeper gear ratio probably wasn’t doing me favors in the long run and built up an all city super professional with a big ol front rack and 43/17 ratio on 650bx48 tires, it’s a real crusher. I also have a beefy AF touring bike with a four bag setup for when I need to carry a LOT of stuff, ie camping or a couple 30 racks of beer for a party etc. I even made Costco runs on it before I moved in with my girlfriend last month haha

1 Like

So this is an aside… but one of the most unexpected badass cyclists I’ve ever met rode fixie pretty much all the time. Some random old steel frame spray-painted lime green, and the crankset he designed and machined himself. Dude looks like a red-haired Abe Lincoln and is at least as well-mannered, but is an absolute monster on two wheels. I could be on my roadie in 52/11 and I’d still have no hope of catching the guy and his franken-fixie.

2 Likes

I heard Honda might bring back the element, from what I understood about the original the interior was all rubber and designed in such a way that for cleaning it could simply be hosed out, this always seems like a genius design to me and I’m not sure why it’s never been copied or redone

1 Like

3 Likes

I saw this ad for a Sienna on Twitter a while ago… It struck me as a really weird way to market a minivan, but I guess wallets speak the loudest at the end of the day.

I got a couple of good laughs out of this review of the Element from TheStraightPipes. They’ve come a long way since this video…

This is my other wallet burner :grin:

3 Likes

I have six speeds!.. When I’m on two wheels :joy:

Oh boy, cars are something I love to appreciate, but have never actually put serious money into in terms of hobby or modifications. Maybe after keyboards :laughing:

2 Likes

this is definitely the six speed equivalent of 40% 1800 layouts

1 Like

A K-series owner here!

I got a 6speed manu, and love going through the gears. Early-mid 2000’s Honda products bring quite a bit of joy for a good cost. Wish US allowed importing cars from overseas. My hands are itching for a Kei-coupe or a EK9 Type-R the “beat F355” white.

1 Like

You can import Kei cars. I know a couple people that daily them.
My friend has a Honda Kei van from here:
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/
He has friends with Beats. I can ask him where they got them if you’d like.

2 Likes

Haha, wallet burner sounds about right! Crazy to think registration and insurance for a year basically costs the same as a couple of pretty decent keyboards.

I’ve found that hobbies are often cyclical for me (no pun intended).

There haven’t been too many that I’ve forgotten about altogether; I just tend to focus intensely on one thing until developments in another hobby catch my eye. It’s a perpetual cycle that basically looks something like this -

1 Like

Cheers to this era of Honda! Championship White is definitely the way to go for a Type-R haha

Good call, I was debating whether we should ruin ECZACTLY’s wallet by telling him about importing 25+ year old cars :joy:

Top Rank is another reputable importer based in SoCal - they do all the heavy lifting in terms of getting a car ready to be registered and driven here, but you do pay a premium for this.

Good call, I was debating whether we should ruin ECZACTLY’s wallet by telling him about importing 25+ year old cars :joy:

It’s okay. My wallet can’t read.

I’m honestly not ready for old Kei cars yet. Mentally, I’m somewhere here.

I do want me a new Suzuki Jimny, but I don’t have quite the cashflow to lobby congress to repeal the 80’s anti-import law.

My dingus friend:

5 Likes

Just picked up a brand new family rig on Friday. Never thought I would enjoy a grocery getter so much! 2022 Honda Odessey Elite. Really thinking about trading in the Elantra Sport for the new Civic Type R lol

7 Likes

got a minivan for all your minivans?

My mans out here getting cars from the future

2 Likes

Congrats! You really can’t beat a minivan for practicality

I support this decision!

1 Like