Six Speed Situations (Car Enthusiast Thread)

Here’s me doing a little autocross in my Genesis Coupe 3.8

4 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

I’ll give it to modern Honda - they know how to make a large vehicle that does not suck to drive.

My mom’s 1st gen Pilot was surprisingly easy to navigate, especially after driving my friends’ poorly maintained old Dodge trucks and Jeeps. The Honda is practically a spaceship in comparison.

2 Likes

It feels that way, even compared to the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica I traded in!

Or, return the Odyssey, Sell the Elantra Sport and buy this…??? Or maybe this just to replace Elantra Sport???

Yeah, I kind of thought about the new Veloster N but I prefer 4 doors.

Someone snapped a pic of me racing the focus svt at Colorado rallycross.

Has six speeds but second doesn’t have a synchronizer anymore so it’s more like a 1 speed car :rofl:

6 Likes

I will one day have a brand new car, once VW resumes production of them of course. :dizzy_face:

For now, I’ve got these two that occupy any spare disposable income (that doesn’t get spent elsewhere).

1971 Austin Mini 1000, 1970 Ford F-250

And the daily, taking an undignified ride home from the mountains.

To be fair to the Subaru, it’s been really reliable, but it was made in November of 2001 and she’s starting to show her age. This breakdown was due to the Alternator deciding it had had enough of giving away free electrons.

8 Likes

Wow, what a fleet of cars with character! That Mini :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I can tell from the shoes that Mini knows how to get rad.

2 Likes

The Mini is mostly all bark at this point, but when you’re sitting that low to the ground, with tires that sticky, everything seems fast.

Here’s a glamor shot taken at the dearly missed “World of Speed”

6 Likes

“Mr. Bean spec but make it gangster” – I’m a fan!

6 Likes

The Killa Chinchilla hit a milestone the other day.

8 Likes

This thing just popped up on Jalopnik

Too hot for its own good.

1 Like

I’m curious how many of you can drive a stick. :yum:

1 Like

Learned somewhat late in life, after I’d been driving automatics for over a decade, but now I never want to go back. I’ll do it to stop burning gas - but as long as I’m driving a petrol engine, it’s going to have a stick.

It keeps me more engaged with driving at any given moment, and it’s more fun. They’re also cheaper to buy and fix - at least for now.

First stick was a late-90’s Honda Civic; not the most tolerant transmission I’ve ever driven, but pretty close. It basically didn’t care as long as your inputs were vaguely in the right direction and timing. (Thanks to a blown gasket it was possible to stall - I later tried a friend’s 3rd gen Honda Fit, which has an impressively idiot-proof transmission. Like it really doesn’t care, it doesn’t complain, calmly accepting whatever chaotic BS inputs you throw at it.)

The '99 Civic:

• very little rev hang, natural to physics
  • so easy to time, it almost doesn’t care (new Hondas care even less)
  • blown gasket made reverse gear interesting uphill (lol what is torque)
  • shifter movement is vague and soft but gives tactile confirmation
  • clutch-bite is very easy to feel through the pedal
  • syncros could get crunchy if you’re having too much fun
  • so simple it’s pretty intuitive

Current stick is a small AWD crossover, an '07 Suzuki SX4 - which apparently has a Miata transmission in it, but with this huge, ball-topped shifter. Took quite a while to get used to;

• waaaaay more rev-hang, ecu trying to save gas (this is what took forever to get used to)
  • not too hard to time once you get used to the eons of rev hang
  • pretty darn tolerant of being in “too-high” gear, happy to climb
  • shifter movement is deliberate and chunky, very clear confirmation, almost feels gated
  • clutch-bite is impossible to feel through the pedal (this also took lots of getting used to)
  • syncros are tolerant but sometimes don’t want to let you into reverse
  • behaves quite differently in 2WD and AWD modes
2 Likes

I learned when I was 16 and never looked back. I’ve never daily driven an auto. Currently drive a focus ST.

3 Likes

Not a car, but I do have 6 speeds :grin:

3 Likes

Got 6 speeds on my '98 NA2 :wink:

It’s just been refreshed (engine and transmission) and has a lot of carbon parts for light weight !

12 Likes

That is beautiful!

1 Like