Sol: The brightest keyboard on earth!

Sol, a successor to Zen, is a full RGB split keyboard with an ortholinear layout. Per-key RGB backlight and underglow with 88 total LEDs make it the brightest keyboard available. This is a full-featured keyboard PCB, no Pro-Micro or soldering diodes required.

Currently in group buy RGBKB.net Ends Sept 7th.

To reach the CNC case MOQ, I will giving every CNC case order a 10% chance to receive $200 off!

Features include:

• Type C for both USB and interconnect. Runs QMK.
  • Black PCB with gold contacts
  • MX and Kailh low-profile
  • Basic tenting using standard CNC case feet (5.3deg)
  • More tenting angles available using 3D printed feet
  • OLED and rotary encoder support
  • MX holes sized specifically for Holtite 8P3/8P2 sockets
  • Thin design: 10.2mm MX /7.2mm with low profile switches

Feel free to ask any questions at the discord (link on rgbkb.net)!

5 Likes

Still deciding if I should get Black or Purple :thinking:

2 Likes

¿Por qué no los dos? :smile:

That’s what I did!

Your link to the GB is broken

Can’t post links yet, but remove the space

It looks so good. My ergo-loving heart is going pitter-patter…

1 Like

The day my silver one ships is the day all my other keyboards will cry about being abandoned.

1 Like

Now, for a few actual questions (with regards to the pre-assembled Sol):

1. Will there be an extra charge based on the switch type that is chosen? There are a number of different switch types listed on the page, but no associated prices.
  2. Are the switches hot-swappable? It doesn’t look like they are, but I figure I should ask
  3. I don’t have access to a 3D printer; as such, will the feet / tenting gear be made available for sale via your website?
  4. Is the USB Fusion device required to run the keyboard, or only for it to achieve maximum brightness?
  5. What is the difference between the plate case and the CNC aluminium case, other cost?

Thanks a bunch. I hope you are having a great day.

1 Like
  1. Yes, if you choose the drop-down “switch type”, you can see the different prices.
  2. They are not, but you can get Holtites to fit in the board, making it hot-swap.
  3. I don’t want to offer them for sale as my printer is a bit finnicky, (works sometimes, sometimes doesn’t). But if you order a prebuilt I’ll do my best to get some printed for you.
  4. No it isn’t. Some PCs can deliver 2A on a type C port, some can only do 500mA on a type A. Fusion just guarantees proper power delivery.
  5. The CNC case has a 3mm plate, while the plate case is only 1.6mm. This makes the frame much stronger. The CNC case also has no visible screws from the top, and has a skirt around the perimeter.

Thanks for your interest, have a nice day as well!

Is the Sol similarly sized as the Zen/ Iris? I love my ErgoDox EZ but the thumb cluster is hard to use and thus has some dead keys for me - a smaller keyboard is something I’d be very much interested in.

Yes! Sol is similar in size to Zen, with extra keys placed where the Pro Micro used to be. The thumb cluster is similarly spaced away as Ergodox, but the outer (and I agree hard to reach) 4 1u keys excluded. You can use the thumb area with 2,3,or 4 keys. The overall keyboard also has a smaller bezel than the Ergodox.

Would you consider building pre-solderes hotswappable switches as outlined above?

Yes, there would be an additional charge for the Holtites though. I can solder them in place to make them more secure, but you can push them in yourself without soldering.

Regarding the plate case, does ordering one cover both halves including top and bottom? Or do you need to order two (one order for each PCB half?)

The LED PCB (included with the regular pcb) acts as the bottom plate. The pair of plates are both tops, left/right (although they are identical.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, and crazy fast at that!

Sol, a successor to Zen, is a full RGB split keyboard with an ortholinear layout. Per-key RGB backlight and underglow with 88 total LEDs make it the brightest keyboard available. This is a full-featured keyboard PCB, no Pro-Micro or soldering diodes required.

The USB Fusion power injector has been given new safety features including fuses and ESD protection.

Currently in group buy at RGBKB.net Ends Sept 7th.

Features include:

Type C for both USB and interconnect. Runs QMK.
Black PCB with gold contacts
MX and Kailh low-profile
Basic tenting using standard CNC case feet (5.3deg)
More tenting angles available using 3D printed feet
OLED and rotary encoder support
MX holes sized specifically for Holtite 8P3/8P2 sockets
Thin design: 10.2mm MX /7.2mm with low profile switches

Any question or feedback are welcome here at the discord server.