Somewhat loose space bar keycap

So I hit the left most corner of the space bar on my 60%, probably because how the left pinky is permanently hovering above the capslock as Fn.

Anyways the TEX ADA keycaps seem to be a bit less snug generally, and on the space bar I get this regularly:

Any ideas how to fix this?

Put some tape on the tip of stab stems to make spacebar keycap fit more snugly. I use medical tape made out of hanji but anything will do. Anything that thickens the stab stem tip should work, like a dab of nail polish or crazy glue.

5 Likes

Some kitchen plastic film over the + might work.

Cool caps BTW. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nail polish! The reverse-lube I was looking for :slight_smile: I’ve applied it to the + hole in the key cap so the stem doesn’t become too thick for regular fitting caps. Seems to work fine so far. Will see how it fares through entire work days.

Thanks!

@skepp the film novelty set is great! I’m currently waiting for blank DSA 1u caps for the alphas so the cool ones stand out even more :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I had a loose SA spacebar keycap as well, this tip worked wonders! I placed some bandaid into the spacebar’s cruciform and it made the keycap fit snugly as desired :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re using switches with reduced travel, you’ll want to fix it with north-facing switch washers on the stabilizer stems to prevent them from having more travel then your switches, and do it to all your stabilized keys. The plastic wrap/tape method is great for loose caps, but technically you aren’t fixing the wobble issue. If you press hard enough it will still pop off, and until it does, you are stressing the stab wire. Better to completely remove the extra travel with the washers, much more solid.

2 Likes

Cut some tape into fine strips and put these strips along the walls of the stabilizer cavity in the spacebar keycap.

1 Like

Welcome aboard, @prashank!

Specifically, I recommend this tape for best results. It is very soft and doesn’t use adhesive, and runs little to no risk of damaging your cap stems. It’s easily removable when you don’t need it anymore, too.