Springs length for linear switch customisation

After discovering that 45+/-2gr actuation force in a HyperX Red linear switch is too small for me personally, I want to experiment.
So I became curious about springs in a typical linear switch. After deciding to mod a set of Keychron switches I found out that there are different standardization for spring lengths. That was a surprise.

Ok then. I can potentially buy any of the TX Keyboards Springs.
There are several options available:

1. 14mm - short
  2. 15mm - medium
  3. 16mm - long

Here is the switch that I’m planning to mod (I don’t have a keyboard yet. Planning ahead.)
Keychron Mechanical Switch. RED

And here are the questions.
What is the length of the spring in the typical linear (presumably Red) mechanical switch?
What is the length of the spring in the Red Keychron Mechanical Switch.
Witch spring should I get, given that short and long version of the springs in the post can provide actuation of 62gr?

1 Like

According to ChatGPT (3.5)

3 Likes

Normal cherry-standard springs are 15mm. Longer springs like the 16mm ones are used to make the force required more consistent all the way through the press. It’s a bit hard to explain, but basically shorter springs will be lighter at the very start of pressing the switch and gradually get heavier as you near the bottom. This is why force graphs for linear switches resemble a straight line with an upward slope.

When you put long springs in your switches you’re “pre-loading” the springs; they are always slightly compressed. So you end up with a force graph slope that’s closer to a flat line, and a more consistent feeling switch. In order to make 70g springs for multiple lengths you just need to make sure the force graphs intersect at the point of actuation; 70g at 2.3mm depth.

In other words, it’s down to preference. Personally I think long springs are great and you should try them out, but feel prepared for them to feel a little heavier than you might expect. But if you want a more “bouncy” feeling you should probably stick with 15mm or go down to 14mm.

If you want a more thorough explanation definitely go check out this post: About Springs

5 Likes

Have you had any experince with two stage springs? I am thinking about trying 22mm two stage springs in my 45g Aqua Kings V3. Just to make them a bit heavier.