Stablizers Reccomedations

So I purchase a keyboard that was hotswap so I could mod a keyboard without soldering (evga z15) I have put boba u4t for everything except numpad which is lubed kailh speed silvers. The incuded stabs are pretty bad. I would go and purchase some durrock v2 but this board has clib in and no screw in spot. What do you recomend for this board.

4 Likes

Cherry/GMK plate mount stabs are my goto for boards that don’t support PCB mount stabilizers. Although quite a few companies have released their own plate mount stabs so my recommendation may be a bit outdated. Been quite awhile since I built any boards that did not support PCB mount stabilizers. I’ll still vouch for GMK/Cherry, but you may want to wait for input from others who have used some of those newer plate mount stabs.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

I bought Cherry plate mount stabs from Zeal last year and they were excellent. Huge improvement over the stabs that came with my G64.

Zeal has Zeal plate mount stabs now, which I imagine are pretty solid considering their other products.

Durock also has plate mount stabs now (available from a bunch of vendors) and I’ve heard they’re just as good as their screw-in v2 stabs.

Probably obvious, but clipping (if not already pre-clipped) and lubing any stabilizer is required to get the best performance. It will greatly improve the sound and feel.

2 Likes

Vouch for durock plate mounts. Might wanna band-aid the plate but they’ll sound nice with proper tuning.

1 Like

I second this advice. I personally use electrical tape for this, but any band-aid (just the sticky parts) or tape would do just as well. Now thinking about it IME this is pretty much a essential mod with plate mount stabs. What you want to do is wrap the sides of the cutouts for the stabs on the plate to make the opening a little tighter. This will effectively shim the stabilizer housing properly tight in the cutout, as usually cutouts for plate mount stabs tend to be slightly loose. Which will lead to rattle & ticking even with perfectly modded stabs.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for plate mount stabs Durock and Everglide has nice stabs, just pick any of their stabs they’re the same.
I personally use the black and white and they’re great.

2 Likes

Fellow electrical taper here!

1 Like

I tried both durock and zeal stabs. Highly recommend zeal stab >> durock.
They just work very well and I never need to do any fancy mods on them.

1 Like