Susuwatari Delays

well, basically we couldn’t reach the quality this set deserves with the current manufacturer. Fortunately we have a plan B, but of course all we’ve done so far is lost. Good news is that Massdrop is doing things right, we are aiming at the best possible product. Bad news is… well delays… but they are pretty much always expected, aren’t they.

Quoted from a reply by Matt3o on his site today.

4 Likes

Source: scroll to the bottom comment from two hours ago on this page.

Honestly, I should have expected this, even my own projects get delayed, I would kind of like to have the B-stock caps if they’re usable. R1 dev/tty should have been sold as B and C stock and I’d like that for Susuwatari, and I wouldn’t have to worry about shine.

I doubt this means delays for MT3 Godspeed since they’re dye sub PBT.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place =P

Not too surprised about the delay. Thought Matt3o would be a tiny more communicative though.

1 Like

No worries! We’re still feeling things out and figuring out what categories need some refinement. This is definitely a topic worth discussing though. It’s almost expected that all projects will hit delays in our community. I don’t know if it’s the nature of so many parts having to come together or just poorly setting expectations. Probably a bit of both. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I hope we get some kind of update from (Mass)Drop soon.

Why do you think that?

Legends had lots of dye-subbing issues.

This was the drop that I had a significant number of issues with the creator. Matteo went on record with his grievances, but when I got my set, I couldn’t, for the life of me, tell what he was upset about. Maybe my eyesight is shot, I don’t know. When Rd. 2 came out, I bought it and looked at it before putting I on my BIL’s board. You got me man. Apparently, the legends were “fuzzy” on round one. Round 2 is quite as good as Rd. 1 so far as I can tell. Anyway, the profile is just as great as I had hoped. I’m not picky. The ortho set was observably bad. That was junky ass garbage. The staggered set was fine. JMHO.

I’ll defer to the creator of the set. I trust he has keener eyes than mine. At any rate, the profile and materials used are top-notch. MT3 is the best, nothing else comes close. I truly believe that it is the best profile cap you can currently buy.

1 Like

I’ve seen some of the legend alignment issues and some had okay alignment, others were unacceptable; as other users already said, the ortho kit was a train wreck.

I was also in the Preonic drop that had the messed up XDA Canvas legends and I’m glad they sent out the bad ones as I’ve used them as place holders, and I wouldn’t mind the same for the MT3 caps.

As someone who owns the R1 caps, I will say that the legends lend the set a kind of “toyish” appearance that’s hard to describe. Not bad, but they very much pale in comparison to other dye-sub options within the hobby. Here’s to hoping the double-shot comes out well.

Ah, I kind of forgot about that. I have a lot of R1 and R2 sets, but don’t really see much difference between them, at least not during regular use.

Drop just sent out an email describing their situation. Expecting Aug/Sept ship

Hi all,

We have an update on your Massdrop x Matt3o MT3 Susuwatari Custom Keycap Set. Production for the keycaps is going slower than expected and, unfortunately, we will not meet the estimated ship date of June 28th.

We had test tooling created to start production but found the resulting keycaps did not meet our high expectations. In the end, we’ve changed how we are making the double-shot tools to deliver the highest quality keycaps possible, that will stand the test of time.

We expect to see initial results from this new setup by the end of June. With adjustments and other work needed, we could potentially ship the keycaps in August or September, depending on how smoothly everything goes from here on out.

We apologize for the delay. If you prefer not to wait the additional time, you can cancel your order on your transactions page: Home | Drop.

Thanks so much for your patience. We’ll be back with another update as soon as we receive the new samples.

I’m not happy about delays, but I’m happy they seem to be trying to get out a good product.