Switch massage break-in, does it work? Blindfolded test

In this video I try the “switch massage” technique to break in a couple of retooled Cherry black mechanical keyboard switches, then I try to feel whether there is a noticeable difference in smoothness between the switches that were massaged and those that weren’t.

In this video I try the “switch massage” technique to break in a couple of retooled Cherry black mechanical keyboard switches, then I try to feel whether there is a noticeable difference in smoothness between the switches that were massaged and those that weren’t.

What do you think? Does this method deserve a more in-depth test? I think if you do this, in order to get consistent results you probably would need to spend more than 10 seconds in each off-axis direction… Possibly a lot more. As-is, the technique does not seem to be effective enough to overcome the differences in smoothness between one switch and another from the same batch.

I don’t think lube inconsistency is a factor either, since Cherry only lubes the leaf, and stem to leaf friction can be compared with on-axis key presses. All of the switches in this test already felt very smooth during on-axis presses, smooth enough as to be indistinguishable one from another.

7 Likes

There he is! It’s been a while buddy. Ugh, too bad on the mixed results. However, TIL I’ve been wearing my face mask wrong this whole time. I’ve been hoping for a way to polish switches without the need to deep clean them afterward.

I do use this technique on newly lubed switches to help eliminate the break in period where some switches might be a bit sluggish from inconsistencies in or unintentional pooling of lubing.