Switch Puller New Gateron & MorgRie Designs

Came across these different switch puller designs seemed worthwhile to share.

Gateron Switch Puller. New design cool idea, I can’t help but wonder how it will work on different types of switches.

https://alphakeys.ca/products/gb-gateron-switch-puller

Morgrie Wow it is expensive! I saw Alexotos mentioned the first batch tips were messed up and they didn’t pull switches and were sharp LOL. They are supposed to correct the tips and send them back out but wow ouch for $80.

https://www.morgrie.com/products/switch-puller

2 Likes

That last switch puller is definitely a Cadillac among Yugos… I could defintely go for one I don’t have to bend back in place every few YOKs.

2 Likes

That Gateron one is awesome, I want one.

1 Like

I feel ya. I might be willing to eat this cost if it means my hand doesn’t cramp so bad and the puller doesn’t get chewed up, if it doesn’t scratch my plates up.

1 Like

Holding out for a happy medium myself, though I’m curious about that Gateron one.

2 Likes

I have seen the hand stress/grip feedback from many different people on different forms. Consider trying the rubber band/hair tie on the tips of the standard pullers like an inch up from the tips. It sounds lame but worked for me to reduce the stress on my hands with the IC puller. It didn’t matter too much for a few switches at a time but helped me out a lot when doing a whole board.

As far as the plate scratch I do electrical tape on the tips that lasts for a board or 2 at a time. Someone recommended coating the tips in epoxy then sanding then down smooth but I haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.

I am curious does yours bend at the tip or the handle?

2 Likes

Oh, those are both really great suggestions I’ll have to try! Thanks!

1 Like

That Gateron puller look promising, but that Morgrie puller is just ridiculously priced to me. I’d sooner take the whole board apart & push the switches out with my thumb before I paid over $60 for a IC puller.

Mine always bend where the handle narrows to the tip. Most switches don’t resist enough for that to happen but some tighter fitting ones can be an issue.

1 Like

Ah gotcha. I was thinking about using bondo on the inner channel for a different purpose. It would make it stronger but on the sides were it is strong enough already.

I generally don’t like to think of tools as a consumables but I usually keep two on hand they are under $2 from AliExpress. Even customizing with tech flex only adds a few dollars to the cost.

When I bend one is usually desoldering a stuck switch while balancing the PCB in an less then safe or recommend way :wink: