System76 Open Source Hotswap Mechanical Keyboard

In the future if I ever need an argument against open source, this board will be a prime example…

7 Likes

Haha!

This is not a great open source exemple indeed :wink:
We can hope the same team will come up with something better in the future.

1 Like

The good part about this being open-source is that someone else can do better. Way, way better. Like, so much better than what ever the hell this is.

8 Likes

This is another odd layout - at least Leopold isn’t afraid to try new things. I would consider this highly useable, not just odd looking unlike System76.

2 Likes

I really like System76 for what they’ve done with Pop!OS, but… this is a big nope from me.

4 Likes

It seems like they’re going for exclusively either 1, 1.5, or 2u caps. They just never stopped to ask if they should.

Hard same. I find it aesthetically pleasant when things are ortholinear, or not, but not an unholy mix of the two.

4 Likes

*cough

hard fork of qmk

*cough

nothing upstreamed in a year

*cough

11 Likes

It is real and available now for only $285.00 - get it now while it is hot! :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

I was thinking that one of the reasons for their choices on mod sizing is that they wanted to avoid stabs as much as possible. If that were the case though they could have shortened up the left shift to 1.75u and brought L CTRL in with it (I think 1u, not sure).

Then making the spaces 1.75u gets you all the way home! This was a dream of mine a few years back, to be honest. Make a keyboard with the largest keys being 1.75u so I didn’t have to add any stabs.

2 Likes

Wow. I too like the ideals of the company (tried PopOS for a spell and liked it), but the layout and then that profile view… gag.

1 Like

5 USB ports? Did they roll 1d6 to figure that out??

5 Likes

Sometimes you catch some weird details…

In addition to the central USB-C port for connecting to your system, Launch features two high-speed USB-C and USB-A ports. Transfer 1TB of video footage in 15 minutes, compared to 5 hours on other keyboards.*

*For maximum transfer speed, Launch must be plugged into a USB 3.2 Gen 2 port on your computer. Estimate based on maximum potential data transfer speed.

Transfer 1TB of video footage in 15 minutes, compared to 5 hours on other keyboards.

Aight bud, who’s transferring 1TB of footage through a keyboard?

22 Likes

This legit made me lol

Wonder if anyone will even use all those USB ports anyway…

3 Likes

:joy: gotta love the space bars with space printed on them, firstly, what the fuck? secondly, two space bars?

4 Likes

Two space bars is the only thing I appreciate about this board :joy:

8 Likes

This cracks me up because they clearly intend for you to remap them in the marketing material. So aside from why the heck you would waste ink printing space in the first place, it will be wrong almost immediately.

4 Likes

Wait I thought this was satire…

1 Like

I also use split space, but definitely not bound to space on both keys. as @Den-Fi said, basically just guaranteeing mismatched legends.

They come with some extra keys, such as 2u fn

1 Like

Would have been easier to do (and I would have preferred) blank caps. :man_shrugging: not that I would buy this monstrosity anyway.