Thanks - My 1989 Game Boy is Working Again!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to pop in and say that with the soldering and tinkering skills I’ve picked up from this hobby, I was able to fix my Game Boy that’s been busted for years. I even put it in a clear housing.

It was my first ever console, and was a gift when I was 3 or 4. To say it has sentimental value is an understatement.

So thanks to everyone that’s ever posted a tip or a guide or a piece of advice here. I’ve learned a lot from you and couldn’t have done this without you.

15 Likes

Wow that’s great! I’m happy learning to solder here has cross-applied elsewhere in your life :smiley:
How easy was the fix?

1 Like

What exactly did you fix? I was also able to use the soldering skills I learned from keyboards to fix some 3D printers, which was nice.

2 Likes

Repaired an old radio alarm clock recently but rather clumsy. Now it works but i cant turn it off other than removing the batteries.

1 Like

I had blank vertical lines on the LCD, apparently that’s a pretty common way for old screens to degrade.
To fix it, you have to re-establish the connection between the data tape/film/Cable thing to the screen.
Essentially running a hot soldering iron over the connections until they meet up again.

Yeah I’ve seen people do that on YouTube. Glad it worked out for you.

This is awesome to see you used the skills you learned building KBs elsewhere! Glad it all worked out for you, I miss my OG Gameboy. In fact this post almost makes me want to search a working one out, LOL!

1 Like

I saw a tonne of replacement parts on AliExpress when I was shopping for the parts I needed. I honestly think you could buy a broken one as a project and fix it up!

1 Like

That’s not a bad idea to pass the time between builds! Might give that route a go if it can be a decently cheap project TBH. I gotta rebuild my games collection from XBOX, PS2, Gamecube era & down thanks to a house fire we had in early 2012 (nobody got hurt, thank God!). My PS3 & 360 collection at the time got trashed, but I managed to get mostly everything back. Although that in & of itself is kinda redundant now that I’m back gaming on PC & have all my games other than console exclusives on it.

Although I do want to eventually rebuild my retro gaming collection, so many systems & games from the NES & up got destroyed when that happened it makes me sick to think of. Worst part is they actually have a company come in & inventory your all possessions. Then gives the insurance company what they think the pro-rated prices for the items should be & that’s what you paid out!? So stuff like video games & systems, especially the older ones we got pennies on the dollar for.

All said & done though we did get our house substantially upgraded so that was really worth a hit on our personal possessions.

Man, that’s awful, I’m so sorry to hear that.
My Game Boy was just aging and that was hard enough to deal with.
I’m glad you ended up with a housing upgrade to make up for all those lost memories.

What are you playing on PC? If Destiny or CS:GO are your thing, I’d be happy to jump on a game with you some time!

1 Like

Right now I’ve really been sucked into Binding of issac Rebirth, but do have Destiny 2 just never got into it. I’m at work now, but I’ll send you my battlenet name when I get home!