The Heavy-6: a Norbauer case for the FC660C

Thanks so much for the awesome photo @jamesma! One thing I often seen on the Heavy-6 is the use of two artisans on those two isolate keys on the top-right like you have it there, and I think it works really well. Also love the colors on that GMK set. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the photo. Looks nice!

Can you clarify which sliders do you use to convert to MX? Have you got any problems with spacebar?

I used the Novatouch sliders! No issues with spacebar, I lubed the stabilisers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lord @norbauer any chance of seeing a heavy6 in VHS finish?

2 Likes

just got an FC660C Silent this past week and ordered the dampener already. just need the case to comeback in a new round I suppose :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m afraid I have no plans to bring back the Heavy-6 due to the limited availability of the FC660C. I have made a few of these bespoke recently, including in a VHS finish, but one-offs are very expensive and so I generally don’t recommend it unless you’re heart is really set—or you have infinite money to burn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

then to the mechmarket we go!

EDIT: I guess Heavy 6 will get to the Norbatouch territory where there’s a certain demand for the case yet the keyboard is hard - extremely hard to obtain :slight_smile:

1 Like

13 Likes

Oh man. Beautiful.

Thanks! Went for a Troubled Minds kinda vibe.

1 Like

Gorgeous! Can you describe how you did the lighting for this picture? Primarily the case “glow”, but also any overhead/room lighting considerations. I’m only now starting to learn about some of the basics of photography, and being able to take photos similar to yours is an aspirational goal of mine!

Photography is an inexpensive hobby that pairs well with being a fancy keyboard hobbyist, right? Right?! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! The glow is actually from a custom PCB I have in the Heavy-6 case, it has 16 RGB LED underglow lights. The lighting is simply a white screen on my 27” monitor right in front of the keyboard. I waited until nighttime to make sure only the monitor light and the underglow were the light sources for the image.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll bite - custom PCB?! Any more details you can provide? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the description above; good to know you can achieve beautiful photos even with a straightforward setup.

Sure! I will be posting an IC soon to see if anyone else is interested in getting a custom board in either Ryan’s Heavy-6 case or potentially any other case out there made for the FC660C.

Think of the monitor with a fullscreen white image as just a small softbox pointing at your keyboard. I of course had my camera on tripod and made sure to shoot at a low ISO, long shutter speed, stopped down enough to get some depth of field as well.

4 Likes

It is a great idea (and one I had in mind also :stuck_out_tongue: )!

Having a MX style PCB that could adapt into @norbauer gorgeous cases could convince the man to make more of them.

I’d be very much interested in such a thing - I’ll keep my eyes peeled!

Speaking of that small bespoke order of Heavy-6, the buy page said that it would ship around the end of January.
Any updates on that?

2 Likes

These are headed out the door this week. They have been ready for a while but had to get the logo badges installed, which got blocked by Heavy-9 assembly and shipping.

3 Likes

guess the entire stock of that bespoke order sold out huh? could you magic up 1 more from the logisitc company please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I know Ryan mentioned a few months ago that the Heavy-6 (and I’m assuming it’s polycarb brother) won’t be making another appearance due to lack of supply for the Leopold boards themselves, but now that they’ve restocked in many places I do sincerely hope there is another run! I’d love a Urbi et Orbi (unfortunately the last drop didn’t work out) but I shudder imagining the price for commissioning a one-off :grimacing:

2 Likes