The Heavy-6: a Norbauer case for the FC660C

ditto

I’m in for the monolith. I know what I’m about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, awesome. Not trying to be difficult, but it would be really great if you’re able to post up a different closeup on the Areospace finish. I know there’s a photo in the opening post kind of like this but there’s some depth of field going on and a bit of blurriness that makes it difficult to clearly see the finish.

After really grappling with my feelings I think the classic Aerospace might be what my 660 really needs…

No worries. Here is a version with the full depth of field. It is just a pretty standard bead-blasted, clear anodized finish.

2 Likes

Looks like I probably won’t be able to launch this until early next week after all. :neutral_face: I got an ambiguous answer from the factory on a critical point by email today, and it’s already after office hours in Texas, so I don’t expect a reply until Monday.

Oh well. It’ll give me some spare time to design the packaging. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Hunger is the best spice”

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXkCh01XPJs
(NSFW, language)

(couldn’t resist, everytime my wife says the word Texas, I do my best to tell “TEXAS!” in my Sergeant Hartman voice)

Looking forward to next week, thanks for the update.

1 Like

that looks amazing. fantastic cases, as always. btw will the Norbauer & Co badge be offered in different colors, or only purple and silver?

edit: found the earlier pictures and am glad you are matching to the case colors. will they be removable if we want to mix and match colors of badges and cases? :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you foreseeing another round w/in a year of this one? (I’m assuming it would be based on demand.) And any chance of the Black Anodized to be offered in the 2nd round?
Also, will you be liquidating your working prototypes?

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that they aren’t swappable. My idea has been simply to try to pick colors that complemented the overall look or theme of the particular design. For example, for the Ferrari-style yellow, a red similar to that used on Ferrari engine blocks seemed a good pairing.

Here are the pairings:

• Aerospace: gray
  • Retro Refrigerator: white
  • Aperture: gray
  • Motorsport: red
  • Monolith: deep purple

FWIW, the patch on the carry bag is Velcro-backed and swappable (compatible with things like Goruck products). Like my forthcoming TKL bag, it comes with my maker’s mark on it as a patch by default.

But I’ll also be offering patches like these separately (with apologies for the untidy, dusty, un-edited pics).

This style of metal-wire hand-embroidery is an ancient handicraft of India, which eventually made its way to Europe to become a traditional part of French and British military regalia and liturgical vestments. I’ve always loved it and am delighted now to have an excuse to finally put it on something. :blush:

7 Likes

The Aperture finish makes me so happy. Reminds me of the Leica gear my grandfather had in his old photo studio.

2 Likes

My vision is emerging from the depths… :eyes:

Putting together some composite images to test colour combinations and play with key layout using the /dev/tty1 Massdrop images. The particular tone and texture of Motorspot Yellow doesn’t work out for the aesthetic I’m working toward but I think Aerospace fits in perfectly…

2 Likes

can you show us the motorsport yellow with this cap set anyway? I’m debating between the yellow and silver. thanks

Yeah, sure. Shouldn’t take long.

Just a quick composite. The dimensions are very slightly off but it gets the look across.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Do you think you could do a render of the retro refrigerator with SA hyperfuse? and then one of the aperture with the grey topre hipro caps?

I think I’m going to be in for those two or perhaps just splurge for the steel PVD option.

I’ll consider it if @norbauer uploads face-on images of all of the Heavy-6 colorways. I can probably find a face-on shot of an FC660M with Hyperfuse caps without too much trouble and that’ll mostly match up. Good enough to understand how colours and such work out.

I’d prefer not to be crunching out images of every permutation of Heavy-6 colorway x keycaps set in existence, though. It’s actually pretty easy to put these images together if you know how to select the parts you want from an image, resize them and layer them on top of one-another, so my preference is that people just try to do this.

It’s a really helpful skill for everything from keyboard modding to interior decoration to clothes shopping. :+1:

1 Like

Works for me. I’m SO in. I invoiced today - so I should see funds by Friday. Awesome work, Ryan.

Just got good news back from the factory, and we’re ready to roll. I’ll try to get this GB live tonight or tomorrow mid-day at latest. Thanks for your patience everyone! :slight_smile:

12 Likes