The Keyboard Resource Page: an Idea

Name is very clearly a work in progress but I wanted to vocalize an idea I’ve been toying with in order to get feedback from you all.

Over the past year, I’ve become more and more interested in boards that have open source plate files and/or use commonly-available PCBs. However, I’ve found that tracking down things like plate files can be a deep, sometimes fruitless dive into Geekhack threads and Discord servers. That fragmented experience is what I’m hoping to address. What I’m envisioning is creating a community-built knowledge base for those resources.

Do you want the plate files for your Prophet? Include a link to Westfoxtrot’s GitHub. Lost a plate screw to your Sirius? They’re M3-6mm Rounded Head Hex Screws. Even for boards where not all of the above may be true, I think it’d be helpful to have a readily-available resource that covers all of the available components (hardware, etc.)

I realize there are probably massive pitfalls in this idea so that’s why I’d like to get everyone’s input. Something like this may very well already exist and I just don’t know about it. But that’s the tl;dr. Again, this is very much conceptual at the moment so all input is welcomed and appreciated.

5 Likes

I like this idea. I admit I haven’t thought through any of the details to give my full opinion but it sparked a memory from very early in the hobby when I was searching for open source boards. This post from r/mk https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/9vkexw/a_curated_list_of_open_source_mechanical/

lead me to:

It seems out of date but may prove useful in some way.

2 Likes