The Leyden Jar, a tentative PCB replacement for the Brand New Model F Keyboards

Hello! I have a few questions regarding this controller project.

Background: I have bought a Model F Labs’ new Ultra Compact Model F 104, and I would be interested in a way to add PS/2 support to my keyboard(*). So…

Am I reading this correctly that Leyden Jar could also work with my current Ultra Compact? If I understand correctly there shouldn’t be any major difference in the inner connections between these F104 and the upcoming Classic Style, right?

How far has the PS/2 daughterboard project advanced?

Also something which is not clear to me:
Would this be a dual protocol port? i.e. the controller is able to speak both USB and PS/2 over the same daughter board’s USB-C connector like a lot of older keyboard do? Or would the user need to switch the cable between the original USB-C port on the main Leyden Jar for USB only and the additional USB-C port on the daughter board for PS/2 only?

Thanks!

(*) I have posted a question on Model F Labs’ Q&A but I am not allowed to link it here.

Hello @DrYak,

The Leyden Jar controller is pin compatible with the currently used XWhatsit controller.
So in theory it can manage every Model F keyboards that @Ellipse is selling.
In practice, all keyboards are different and a specific firmware has to be developed. The most technical parts are generic though, adding support to a new keyboard could be possible by anyone versed in programming and QMK firmware.

As for the PS2 dautherboard, I unfortunately didn’t had time to test it yet. This will for sure require a significant amount of programming work.
The plan is (to be confirmed it works) to either plug the keyboard using USB and have access to VIAL configuration tool, or use PS2 connection on the daughter board and be able to use the keyboard on an old computer. Of course with the same QMK firmware.

1 Like

Great news everone !

I would like to let you know that the Leyden Jar Diagnostic Tool is now publicly available on GitHub under the MIT licence !
The GitHub link is:
https://github.com/mymakercorner/Leyden_Jar_Diagnostic_Tool

You will also find a Release V1.0.0 (available for Windows) in here (not really useful if you don’t have a Leyden Jar controller).

I can only provide a release for Windows myself but the project is cross-platform at it’s heart and should compile and work with little to no work.
I did my best to prepare the ground for Linux and MacOSX but if such OSes had to be supported someone should take care of that part.
I’d gladly check and potentially merge pull requests of anyone willing to do the work :wink:

See you !

2 Likes