The one about stabilizers

About to do my first build with the KBD75v2. I ordered some genuine cherry stabs from here, because I’ve heard the OEM stabs it comes with are pretty low quality.

My question:
If I’m using a plate, does it require that I use the plate mounted stabs? From what I’ve read, screw-ins are likely to be most stable.

If I’m using a plate, does it require that I use the plate mounted stabs? From what I’ve read, screw-ins are likely to be most stable.

Not in general. Most DIY keyboard plates are designed to support all three types of stabs: plate-moutned, PCB-mounted, and PCB-mounted-screw-in. In case of KBD75v2 plate, you should ask KBDfans.

Note that some plates, usually those built-into a keyboard, limit the type of stabs allowed. GMMK, for example, supports only plate-mounted stab.

2 Likes

Thanks! Have you found any major noticeable differences between screw-ins and plate mounted?

Having a build with a plate does not imply you have to use plate-mount stabilizers. You can easily use PCB-mount stabs if your PCB supports it. As mentioned before, go to the product page in KBDfans and check what kind of stabs are supported by the KBD75 v2.

BTW, plate-mount stabilizers are more common on OEM keyboards (Leopold, KUL, K-Type, etc.)
PCB-mount stabilizers are usually found on custom keyboards (of which the KBD75 could be considered an example).

Wrong. Most DIY keyboard plates do NOT support plate mount stabs due to having multi-layout cutouts

1 Like

I see. Thx for the info. I only use PCB-mounted stabs so rest was just assumptions.