The Phoenix Project No 1, a PCB replacement for the RAMA M65-A keyboard (now open source !)

Rico I still am unsure why you have undertaken this project… seemingly without a m65 of your own.

But I am extremely thankful for it that’s for damn sure!

1 Like

Thank you, it is just to help people like you;)

Aside from that I don’t indent the hassle of making a regular big GB (too much effort for an individual).
But other people will be free to do so with the files :slight_smile:
I’ll still have a few to sell anyway: 4 hotswap PCBs and full plates will be available.
And I may even make a few Rev 2 solder versions for you people :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The hotswap PCB is here and flawless.

Love the sound signature of this plate, too

6 Likes

Hot damn that Hydro blue! Love the board and thanks a ton @Rico would love to grab some PCBs either from yourself or with the files :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that the Phoenix Project No 1 is now open source !!!

The Github repository is available at the following link:

The selected licence is permissive enough so that you can sell the PCB if you want to.

This is a very early commit and things are still missing or need improvements:

• No firmware source code, only uf2 binary (I plan to push it on the QMK repository).
  • Lack of documentation on reset/flash procedure.
  • Lack of documentation on how to send PCB for fabrication at JLCPCB.
  • Lack of documentation on how to make and install the grounding cable.

What has been tested:

• JLCPCB fabrication/assembly for Type H PCB (no assembly for USB housing).
  • Test fit of full plate and Type H PCB Rev2 and firmware (thanks @pixelpusher for your great help !).

What still need to be tested:

• JLCPCB assembly of Type S with USB housing.
  • Half plate Rev2 manufacturing.

I am open to any suggestions on improvements of the repository content !

See you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This has been such a wonderful thread for me to follow! Very excited for the “how to get one” procedures

2 Likes

My SSD just died, when replaced I could work on how to easily order from JLCPCB

2 Likes

My board just died :cry: would love to get a replacement!

I have a few hotswap ones, if the layout suits you .

1 Like

that would be great, how can I get in touch to send info?

PM me and we’ll discuss of that :wink:

Woah woah woah woah that’s an option?!?!

That is, kind of :stuck_out_tongue:

I have still one hotswap PCB for anyone who wants one.

I also plan in the future to make a very small batch of solder PCB with full or half plate if anyone is interested, the main goal being to validate the full assembly of this PCB version.

Raise your hand everyone if you would like this to happen!

4 Likes

I would love the hot swap pub! Let me know how we can make this work

1 Like

DM me, we’ll discuss about that :wink:

1 Like

Working on it. I have no idea how to DM on this site lol

Click on a user’s icon/name and hit “Message”. Only time it’s not available is if a user has turned it off or I think if the messenger is brand new.

Rico looking for people to buy some pcbs and plates! Dm him for details

1 Like

Yes, as said @steelbone532 I ordered 5 Type S PCBs and 5 half plates :slight_smile:

This order will also ensure that everything is good in the fabrication data so that everyone can order their own.
For example it allows me to confirm the correct installation of the USB connector on the PCB by JLCPCB: for the Type H I did not added it to the PCBA service.

As for the status of this project:

• There is now official QMK support (the firmware code is merged on the master branch of official QMK github repository)
  • Official VIA support is on the way.
  • Need to improve the fabrication document a little bit, for example with parts placement confirmation info.
  • Need to explain how to make the ESD cable that can be soldered to the PCB.

Also I put this in a private channel but wanted you to know that I just added an early version of the document explaining how to order fully assembled PCBs at JLCPCB at the link below:
github.com

Good reading !

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Another stepstone today as the Phoenix Project No 1 PCB, that already had official QMK support, have also now official VIA support !

Starting from now the Phoenix Project No 1 PCBs that I’ll ship will come pre-flashed with the official VIA compatible PCB and you’ll be able to use either the VIA website (https://usevia.app/) or the VIA application (an Electron wrapper to the VIA website at Release 3.0.0 · the-via/releases · GitHub) to configure the PCB.

The firmware is available at the caniusvia website (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/the-via/firmware/master/rico_phoenix_project_no1_via.uf2).

As for the flashing procedure (for people that have one of my PCBs in hand and willing to switch to VIA), the reset procedure is covered in detail in the QMK repository for the specific Phoenix Project No 1 PCB support directory (https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/rico/phoenix_project_no1/readme.md).

See you!

1 Like