The Random Questions Thread

Oof! That does look fixable, though - looks like there’s plenty of pad left where the contacts pulled up.

If you’re not comfortable trying to re-solder all that tiny stuff (Louis Rossmann makes it look easy with flux), someone who does laptop or phone repair could probably make short work of it.

3 Likes

In the cheap
Flexy fun and great corner we have this baby :
Keebox Y&R6095 60% Layout Hot Swap PCB Flex Cut PCB Support GH60 Layout Hot swapping PCB
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0etxTA

Got one and use it in my Prophet, it’s great.

3 Likes

I also have a millmaxed Had 60 that isn’t being used. It fits standard 60% boards. I’d be happy to send it your way if yours isn’t repairable.

3 Likes

Thanks for this summary, Deadeye. There are a number of people looking into silent tactiles RN.

It’s good that you pointed out the characteristics of the OUTEMU Silent Cream Yellows. I’m typing on them right now.

You are absolutely right that they have better tolerances than the other cheap OUTEMU silents. There is a board with Silent Lime/Lemon with stabilizers and keycaps that are a little crooked because of the wobble/tolerances on those latter switches.

Don’t get me wrong - I like Silent Lime/Lemon but at the very least they need to be hand-lubed. An interesting feature of the Silent Cream Yellow is that they are kinda-lubed from factory. I am using the factory-lube only, and they function fine. I think they’d be quieter with more lube though.

The fact that you can get a factory-lubed (sort of) wobble-free silent medium-tactile at $33 CAD for a TKL’s worth is kind of revolutionary. I mean, how much does U4 cost? These are ready-to-go, if you’re not too discriminating about sound. These are dialed-back Bobas at $0.37/switch.

So I’d highly recommend them for people looking for a silent medium-tactile. The fully silent Bluish White is probably more fancy, but for a more U4 bump there’s the Silent Cream Yellow. Personally, I think that the Silent Lemon/Lime suits my tactility preferences better, but they need to be produced at Cream Yellow tolerances.

3 Likes

Anybody get GMK Nord yet? I wanna see if it’s actually as bad as the subreddit says it is :frowning:

I might have to sell it and buy GMK Stealth or GMK Wasabi instead

Not sure about here, but someone mentioned this from GeekHack:

that’s awful lol. after seeing that GMK Wasabi post after it, I’m more and more convinced to buy it :drooling_face:

Do you all store your used switches with unused switches of the same type or do you keep used/unused switches separate when you store them?

My boards are all exclusively hotswaps and 65% or smaller, but I usually buy 90 switches so I have extras for lost/broken/defective switches. Most of my switches are tactiles.

I’ve always just dumped the switches back in the same jar/bag with the unused ones after I remove them from a board. I never really gave it much thought until recently when a few vendors started selling pre-broken-in switches. If it matters, I mostly use my switches stock, so it’s not like I’m combining lubed+filmed switches with unmodded ones.

1 Like

I usually lube/film/spring swap mine but after most builds, I only have a few left over (~10). I always make sure to put those in a little baggy before I put them in the container and mark them “stock” to make sure that if I do sell them the person who is getting them knows they have to give them some TLC before using them.

3 Likes

I think that makes sense; I definitely see the value in keeping the modded/improved switches separate from the stock ones. I’m curious if anyone extends this treatment to broken-in stock switches vs. never-used stock ones?

I do this too, I believe in breaking-in switches though, otherwise I’d seperate by lubed or not.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the best place to ask…(couldn’t find a “help me find a keycap set for my board thread” :wink:)

I don’t particularly like the XVX keycap set on the Orion87, I mostly put it on because it was easy to take with me while travelling and I like the sound of the XVX keycaps.

As mentioned in the workbench thread, much to my surprise I liked the Black Lotus dark purple colour against the yellow and white of the keyboard. Can anyone recommend a similar colour scheme (and available, ahem) keycap set?

I’ve found a Bingsu set at a local seller, and it looks in the ballpark colour wise, but I know nothing about the manufacturer. I’m guessing a clone of some sort?

Pics

Orion87 Fried Egg with Black Lotus switches

(Shoddy screenshot of ) Bingsu keycaps set

Link: deleted

If it doesn’t specify GMK or any other manufacturer then it’s safe to say it’s a clone, and since clones are selling for around avreage of $30, I wouldn’t recommend purchasing the set you linked.

2 Likes

Yeah, bummer - confirmed in an Oz discord that Keyhub sells clones with a markup (I’ll delete the link). But, the question on colour remains…:wink:

Edit: on the upside there’s a proper GMK Bingsu preorder for round 2 going…it’s in production and before QC though…could take a while :wink:

Domikey “Gas Attack” utilises a similar colour scheme, which I also do like a lot. If I am not mistaken, they offer the keycaps both in SA and Cherry profile.

2 Likes

Wow that is quite…purple…! :smiley: it’s like it’s glowing. Thanks for the tip!

I couldn’t find any perfectly comparable matches, but a few possible options:

2 Likes

Oh these are great, too, thanks! The purpurite looks like a pretty good match - and similar to the Domikey set, if a little less…loud? :relaxed:

2 Likes

I recently got a Keychron Q10, thinking I’d use it with a MT3 Drop BoW set. Well… that didn’t work out very well. I was able to find enough keycaps to fill out the board, but having to use the Return and RShift keycaps as space bars is really triggering my OCD tendencies. And that’s not even getting into the profile/row mismatches…

Any recommendations for vendors offering nice SA (or variants), XDA, or DSA sets for Alice layouts? The case is black, so I was just looking at white-on-black sets, but I’m open to options.

1 Like

Kono has SA Spectra (a SP SA WoB set) in-stock which might go pretty well depending on how you feel about sublegends. Will get fairly expensive though as you’ll need the Alpha, TKL, Macro, and Bars kit to kit out the Q10 properly.

MT3 LoTR Black Speech might look pretty cool as well (again, depending on if you like the very specific theme). The PBT MT3 sets do offer (usually) spacebar kits that have convex short bars for something like the Q10. No Macro kits but the “Extras” kit has a bunch of novs that might work.

1 Like