Things that make us go... hmmm

The tip menu on the KBDFans site is just built into the platform they use by default. I’ve seen it on several random vendor sites lately where it doesn’t make sense. One of them was the website where I sign up to have my cat boarded. Of course, they could and should turn it off… but they have chosen not to.

4 Likes

I think you’re already showing plenty of support with your purchase. This feels more like a shakedown.

2 Likes

I grew up in Northwest Arkansas. Tornadoes were fairly common. We would hunker down in our basements at least twice a year.

We moved to Western Tennessee. The tornado activity has certainly change in the past few years. Tornadoes during pretty much every season of the year except in the hottest summer weather.

I remember when we first moved here I told my Real Estate agent that we definitely needed a house with a basement for tornado shelter. Like I said, tornadoes were pretty common throughout my life, and I always had the peace of mind that there was a fairly solid shelter in the basement. If something was to carry my house away, at least I might survive in the basement to see another day :slight_smile:

Well, my agent looked at me with a bit of confusion and said “well, we don’t really have homes with basements here.” RIP Apparently the ground is too saturated in this area of the state to be able to build a water tight basement. And I believe it, too. My yard feels like a grass covered bean bag about 80% of the year. Squish squish.

So, yeah. I live in tornado alley with no tornado shelter. Imagine a million+ people just thinking “well… what can ya do?” Hmmmm

And people just shrug this one off. Kinda crazy thinking. But we go into our innermost bathroom about 4-5 times a year as the sirens go off and hope for the best :man_shrugging:

Also 4/5 risk for extreme tornadoes tonight for my location. Wish me luck :four_leaf_clover:

11 Likes

Ey, was gonna say “howdy, neighbor” and then I realized Tennessee is long like a 10u space bar; it takes like four hours to get from the middle of the state to either end.

Facts, same here. If a tornado comes, it’s bathtub time. :stuck_out_tongue:

The swampy soil is part of why I bought a lightweight electric mower. Every time it rains the moles immediately come up to avoid drowning - which of course only makes the soil more soft and lumpy.

4 Likes

Upgraded to a 5/5 from NOAA. “Once in a lifetime storm event.” If only I had a basement. Hmmm

Cross your fingers and toes, kids.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m in middle TN. I’ve been watching NashSevereWx’s twitter for updates on the looming danger avocado. It’s always at night too.

Anyway, as for things that make us go …hmmm, I would like to nominate GMK’s recent color matching. It’s hard for me to know if its really GMK or a lazy runner. Either way, GMK Nord isn’t looking great after some number of rounds of color matching.

From Geekhack this morning:

The original design:

And I am sad now.

4 Likes

There’s no way that’s Nord. Good golly.

2 Likes

I could see how lighting may be an issue with the Geekhack photo for overall color balance, but the contrast between the alphas and modifiers seems way off. I don’t think color correction or contrast correction would rectify that.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Someone in the topic on GeekHack said they waited 3 years for that set, I can’t imagine waiting 2-3 years and getting a faulty product, must be a nightmare for all parties involved.

6 Likes

Hasn’t that always been GMK’s business model?

1 Like

Y’all make it through the storm okay? The remnants are just showing up here in NC.

5 Likes

Had to huddle in the bathroom 3 times but no damage. I’m good. Thanks for asking.

9 Likes

No idea I never purchased a GMK set (taxes and shipping are too high for me to justify it).

But keep in mind that GMK are manufacturing well over 100,000 sets a years since 2020, in 2020 they sold over 120,000 sets, and that’s without big vendors like NK_ that don’t report numbers for their super popular sets (e.g. Star Wars one), numbers could go well over 150,000 a year.

I’m not following GMK’s shenanigans so I can’t say how widespread the issues are (I’m feeling Deja Vu, I think I made an exact comment in the past).

1 Like

All good here!

8 Likes

Yep, safe and sound. Got the “take shelter” warning on the phone a few times but nothing crazy in my neck of the woods.

7 Likes

Glad to hear you all made it through unscathed!

3 Likes

:thinking:

15 Likes

Yup yup, glad to hear y’all are safe :pray:t3:

5 Likes

okay… but can we talk about that GREEN CASE. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

10 Likes