Things that make us go... hmmm

Ah, I didn’t realise it took 2 years…that makes sense! My tastes have changed in just 6 months, so I totally get that!

2 Likes

I was thinking more that could she have used her Gmail account to sign up for your ISP? In my case, my Gmail address is the username for my FiOS account. Or just some shady database where all these bits are cross-referenced for the maximum creepy stalking factor like Dave mentioned. Great way to scare away your customers.

I’ve had a draft sitting in the workbench thread for almost a week to this effect, but I’ve had Kangaroo Inks sitting around since I lucked out on a NK’s mystery switch sale and just put them in the Iris board I received last week. They felt ok to me in-hand, but I had a similar experience and straight out love them in this board. I picked them mostly because I thought they color-matched well with the brass stand-offs. :person_shrugging:

Typing feel is so solid and satisfying with a lovely thocky sound (shockingly, considering my Iris is just the two FR4 plates and the PCB, with no middle layer).

1 Like

Meta Quest VR v50 adds in “virtual keyboards,” which appear to answer the question of “how can we make text input more frustrating than a non-capacitive touchscreen keyboard?”

3 Likes

Could this be… the new keyboard trend?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mammothbar/mammoth-bar

It does remind me of the SteelSeries M800’s spacebar (which was a board that sold quite poorly).

4 Likes

Pls no.

The Kickstarter is currently at 0% funded. If the market has anything to say about it, it won’t get funded.

1 Like

The space bar is the one key that I have the least trouble hitting consistently. Adding a carbuncle to it is hardly innovation.

2 Likes

I once again search the internet for some strange keyboards. This is what I found today:

There was even an Indiegogo campaign on it around 2016:

6 Likes

That’s brilliant! It would be hard to come up with anything more ill-conceived and dangerous!
[Car makers intent on removing physical tactile controls and replacing them with touchscreens that you can’t operate without taking your eyes off the road: “Hold my beer…”]

6 Likes

At first I thought “there is no way they patented a mechanical keyboard for steering wheels in the US” - relieved to find no, not exactly;

• Patent is in South Korea
  • Despite the illustration with traditional plastic keys, the actual patent is for something much more like membrane switches - more a layered sheet with domed bits for keys

So, while it’s borderline criminally irresponsible in concept, at least it won’t double as a big flat shotgun shell aimed at your face while driving. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

At first I thought this was a driving wheel for PC Gaming, and not a bad idea. But, nope. :man_shrugging:

Maybe someone trying desperately to get money from companies in the future searching to patent similar tech. They’re really banking on self driving cars needing this input. I would assume any self driving iCar would connect to your phone for inupt or at least use a large touch screen. lol

3 Likes

GMK Boho has been up for preorder for a while now on Kono. I don’t know if I like the set enough to order it, but I’ve pondered over it several times.

Yesterday I got a message saying that my GMK Boho GB order was about to ship. Hmmm…

I wish my present self would think more about what my past self did sometimes. If only I could remember a word for that

4 Likes

HOW WAS THIS NOT FUNDED??!!!

Now we just have those stupid touchscreen infotainment screens in our cars that have no haptic feedback, and get all smudgy and gross…

Would like to know where the airbag would go with out turning this thing into a claymore mine during a crash…

5 Likes

I feel like this is a very niche product that doesn’t fit the crowdfunding model well. Could maybe sell a few dozen at higher cost/markup if it was more bespoke like “Cherry profile in green” or “KAM profile in white.”

And I thought Clickiez were expensive; OG Rabbits are $1.85 apiece when you buy 100. I guess these are kind of like “hero cars” of the switch world; Dodge sold a lot of random garbo cars in the 90s because the Viper existed. And yeah, like the snake, the bunnies are really good.

The last over-engineered e-sports ultra-premium TTC was a light linear called the Tiger; the Rabbit makes a slight alteration, going back to the rectangular shrouded stem and adding dampeners, further reducing the travel. Yep, these are a silent speed switch. I’ve only got the one sample, but they remind me a lot of Frozen Silents, but like, with a cherry on top or something. Super smooth, super quiet, with a refreshing crispness.

Should you buy these? I mean if you hate money - otherwise I really don’t recommend it. The Frozen Silents are at least 90% as good and like, 40% the price.

5 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

Shipping is more expensive than the keycaps to New Zealand. Seems to be around US$27/set for most quantities. Slightly cheaper to USA though, especially if you buy a few sets.

Definitely I’d want to know they were good quality, since this price isn’t unusual for doubleshot pbt cherry sets on AliExpress.

2 Likes

Weird. It’s almost like trying to replicate a membrane but with mechanical parts. Hmm indeed.

3 Likes

TTC’s silents are a bit like that.

They feel like if dome/membrane keebs were built well. :stuck_out_tongue: That, and you don’t have to bottom them out to actuate - but I’d say that bottom-out feels more similar to a 'brane than not. I’ve seen a few people say the tactile ones remind them of Topre - I can’t confirm because I haven’t jumped down that hole yet. (Yet. It’s a matter of time… probably a bit less time now that URSA is on the horizon.)

After a fair bit more fidgeting with the OG Rabbit - I honestly think the Frozens are better in-practice.

The “lego” housing as TTC calls it doesn’t work quite as well with the rectangular stems as it does the round ones - I think the more traditional TTC housings work better with those rectangular stems. That is, there’s a little bit of play and a little bit of slip-stick at glancing angles. Nothing crazy - or even noticeable in normal use - but focusing-in closely on an individual switch in the hand I’d say the Frozens are more clean. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I appreciate you throwing your wallet on the grenade to save the rest of us. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ha, well I can’t take too much credit - I only bought one:

I don’t think I’d have given them a try if SwitchOddities hadn’t offered individual samples for sale; I think the cheapest option next to that is a 30-something pack for almost 60 bucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes