The Random Questions Thread

I also found it frustrating that the MT3 BoW and WoB sets don’t have spacebar add-on sets available. The spacebars offered on the ortho variants don’t even work for one of the available Planck/Preonic layouts (two 2u spacebars).

That said, if you still want the MT3 profile, the biip MT3 Extended 2048 set can be arranged with all BoW alphas ($52), BoW modifiers ($52), and has a spacebar set ($12) that should work for any Alice/Arisu/split boards for a total cost of $116. Drop doesn’t show the plain modifiers set on the product index/search results pages, so it’s easy to miss.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad looking set! And you’re right, I missed it while searching around on Drop’s keycap pages. Price is decent, and might even find something to work for the macro keys (R1-R5, one key for each row…).

I also found some sets on AliExpress that might work, always a gamble shopping there, but at least they’re cheap.

Thanks for the lead!

1 Like

anyone tried to smash a novatouch in one of these?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832431251957.html

want to rehouse my NT but don’t have Norbatouch budget. lmk if you have any thoughts for just finding even a plastic case with better acoustics than stock NT.

Im fairly sure that will not work. That case is for the Quickfire TKL and the Novatouch shares the same footprint as the Rapid-i (I believe they have different spacing between the alphas and the function row)

oof, thank you before i got too carried away. the stock case of either NT or Rapid-i is that miserable plastic and i was hoping to find something else to house it in.

I’ve been thinking about keyboard matrix arrangements and was wondering, has anyone heard of using transistors instead diodes to address the keys?

I have an idea about how to use transistors to get much higher key numbers, e.g. 125 keys with just 15 I/O lines, which would free up a lot of useful pins on smaller controllers like Pro Micro. If this isn’t well-known already I’ll research it more and make a detailed post about it.

3 Likes

I’m looking for a Huano switch apparently called “HI”, also a purple one called “LI” - (that’s a capital i, not a lowercase L)

Photo from crystalkeystore’s instagram

Check out those cool swirly housings! The person running the account said these were available now, but I haven’t found anything under that name searching Google, or on their ebay store - but I may just be using the wrong google-fu here. Anybody seen or know where to find these? :3

2 Likes

It’s 100% not just you. I just spent about a half hour searching everything I could possibly imagine and they just do not exist online, at least not on any English language pages. I’m not familiar with that vendor, but it seems like it’s mostly just teaser videos but you can only buy testers? Odd all around.

1 Like

That’s surprising, they are the second largest supplier of mouse switches after Omron.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion; fixed now. I fail quoted @Deadeye’s post, but we’re unable to find two particular Huano switches. TONS of other Huano options, but these two switches in particular do not seem to exist on the English language web.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah - every time I’ve looked for those pink or purple swirly keyboard switches I just get a mountain of mouse ones instead :stuck_out_tongue:

NGL I am now considering some Huano silent mouse switches, though…

2 Likes

Did Novelkeys ever send the mod-colored Escape key to go into NK Copper PBT sets? Does anyone know if they have fixed it?

1 Like

Good question. I own the set and I’ve never received caps or communication about it.

2 Likes

Does anyone have the DIY 75% pcb from YMDkey?

Do you know how to turn off the backlighting?

In chat with them, they suggested fn+e and fn+q for adjusting the LED, but fn+e only toggles between modes and fn+q seems to do nothing. They are not so responsive on their chat to help clarify, so I thought I might look for another customer that might know.

1 Like

I don’t have it. Is it this one?

If so, it says that it’s already flashed with VIA and you can set it to be whatever you want to toggle the LEDs.

If you go to usevia.app and click on the “Authorize Device” button does it show up as a keyboard to connect?

1 Like

Actually, I have the v3 version of the PCB, which is a little bit different. Mine only has about a dozen LEDs on the bottom for underglow.

I have tried VIA and I get an error message when I try to connect that board. I’m away from my computer, so I’ll to check the exact wording of that later.

okay. this is their instructions for the V3 version:

did you already do this?

the hex file is here:

Once you flash it to the PCB you will need to open up the “Design” Tab in VIA and add this file:

2 Likes

No, haven’t tried that yet. Thanks for letting me know about this manual.

Ultimately, via a manual linked in that manual, I was able to figure out that fn+T toggles the LEDs on and off, while a variety of fn+E, fn+R, etc. toggle various modes.

Eventually, I may try get VIA to properly work, but I’ll have to study that carefully and figure out the relevant Linux software. I’m a bit afraid of accidentally bricking the PCB if I mess up the flash.

I think I’m looking for something too niche but I’m still going to ask. I have a spare EC60 that I’d like to find a case to do a build with. Here’s what I’m after:

• Plastic (or PC) case material
  • HHKB top
  • Fits a standard 60% PCB (GH 60, etc.)
  • Has an available plate file

The only board that I know for sure meets these criteria is the D60 Lite, which I’m not super keen on but I’ll go that route if I have to. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey Keebtalk, I’m thinking about joining the MTNU group buy in the last second.

In your experience should I join the first round or should I wait for future rounds for any defects or errors that might occur?

4 Likes