The Tape Mod

I tried the mod (underside, not top) with masking tape and then with a layer of gaffer’s tape on top of the masking tape. The gaffer’s tape was magic. I know its a cloth base, but infused with vinyl I think. I wonder how it would work on top of the PCB.

3 Likes

so basically after people deemed the bandaid mod unnecessary, we have now swung the entirely opposite direction in saying bandaid mod the entire keyboard?

12 Likes

PCB modding is the new frontier now. We’ll know we’ve reached its end when we see furry PCBs.

9 Likes

now i’m just thinking about those fuzzy toilet covers people used to use in the 90s. but on a pcb.

6 Likes

Do it, for science!

1 Like

shag rug keyboard mod, here we go!

1 Like

Chewbacca’s Delight 60%

3 Likes

Ya’ll are hilarious :joy: I’m really glad the hobby is taking turns toward more modifications to alter sound and acoustics, even if it does include a (hopefully temporary) gross overuse of the word THOCK.

5 Likes

Design the first BWOMP switch and I’ll consider going back to MX.

2 Likes

someone just DM’d me on Discord having taped the top side of the PCB and as far as I could tell from the average recording quality, there was a bit of a difference, I might try it out on the 7v after work today, and build it in the same way I have done another build so we have a good point of reference. I will use PVC tape rather than Masking tape, because I like the idea of the switches sitting on something firmer.

3 Likes

I’m totally fine with “thock” when used with Topre, but it needs to die a quick death otherwise.

2 Likes

I’ll take thock or thud over chicky-chunk-ku-chunk any day.

5 Likes

I shall call the sounds, chack and clack

Wow the tape mod is blowing up. Lots of people gonna be ruining PCBs… Be super careful buying any PCBs or boards second hand from here on out guys!

3 Likes

I am approaching 4 months since I first did this, no issues at all. But I specifically use tape that lasts a long time without going manky, and its all I ever recommended. Washi lasts a long time, is moderate tack, comes off easily.

I just peeled a PCB thats been taped for around 3 months, no residue. Just to be certain. Even then, Isopropyl exists.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Just tried this out of curiosity, and it affects sound too, though it only affects the mid tones, doesnt add all that bass that I am honestly, not that huge on. I am not sure if its because of the little pockets it leaves around the millmax sockets that it works. But it works, and I like it, and thats what matters to me LOL

here is the sound test, other MX black tests are on my channel with the same build config minus the tape. (the orange strips are not part of this mod, they are to support the switches better because I run this millmaxed PCB plateless sometimes)

8 Likes

I tried the same with small rectangle of PE foam just big enough to rest cover bottom 1/3 of each switch so the switch can make full contact with Kailh hotswap socket. Like your experiment, resulting sound was halfway there, just a hint of the expected sound.

Going to hold off on masking+gaffer tape mod for now but I’m going to rebuild my Polaris half-plate build with 1mm PE foam mod. Not sure what solder will do to where PE foam meets PCB but I think isopropyl alcohol will remove it later.

1 Like

Nice thanks for trying out so many variations! I like sound on the top side and the tape lays flat and extra low risk of anything happening when removing it.

I think I am going to splurge $3 for the black masking tape to make it look :cool: next time I do a rebuild: Scotch Expressions .94" X 20yd Masking Tape - Black : Target

1 Like

I am chuckling watching this take off, but hey, if it works…

At some point I expect to see a guide of some kind emerge; listing kinds of tape to use or avoid. I will say that while old tape adhesive is definitely gross, it’s generally not permanent. As long as you’re patient, a little (distilled) water and a soft cloth will take care of it without damaging the rest of the PCB.

I do happen to have a 6" wide roll of tape meant for sticker application - I might have to try a sheet of it on one of my PCBs. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Any specific reason to tape the bottom side of the pcb and not the top?
Have there been any experiments which side to tape?

It’s hard to tape the top when the switches are soldered in. :wink::wink: