Things that make us go... hmmm

Yeah, this is all true. I’m less sympathetic with RAMA than with others:

• CAPS SEQ1 and 2 are both proudly listed on the website to this day

• He took the money and the producer is good to go

• Clearly is not strapped for cash like some other overwhelmed small vendors

• He’s still making and selling products about how cool RAMA is supposed to be (wolf-money deskmat)

• Has promised to move forward productively as recently as January

4 Likes

I know this is not a political forum and should not be. I’m not suggesting collective action. But I really appreciate it when people post bad experiences both to know we have a place to be heard and also personally to be made aware of producers or suppliers to avoid. Thanks for letting us know.

4 Likes

A positive hmm I found while sticker-bombing my new keeb oven; shoutout to mekibo for using the more expensive “air channel release” vinyl on this old sticker. Basically, it has a grid of notches in the adhesive that allow air to escape, preventing bubbles during simple application.

4 Likes

Wait… doesn’t the oven surface get hot? I remember an older version my in-laws had that got toasty, especially up top. Guess these new-fangled ones are insulated?

1 Like

It does get pretty hot, but not hot enough to damage stickers like these, mostly made of vinyl with a couple paper ones in the mix. That mekibo one specifically is the stuff used on vehicle wraps, and will stand up to the baking sun for years.

I also never plan to use the oven much past its minimum temp, anyway, which even if they were in the oven wouldn’t be enough to ignite the paper ones or melt the vinyl ones - though the odd rando-plastic ones might curl.

3 Likes

Only somewhat related, but last year I learned that standard USPS tracking numbers are reused after 120 days, which can cause some really bizarre issues for package tracking apps. I reached out to the developer for the app I use, thinking it was a bug because I had received a tracking number that showed the item had been delivered to a different state about five months previously. It’s truly bizarre (source):

I find Informed Delivery useful just for overall notifications on mail I wasn’t expecting (mostly greeting cards and the like) or important paper documents so I know to look out for them. But it definitely varies on which day I actually receive the items.

It’s a bit of an older thread, but you may find this interesting/horrifying:

6 Likes

What is a keeb oven?

1 Like

Emphasis added;

6 Likes

This is pretty straightforward and I may have even mentioned this before but it’d be great if LEDs on keyboards would sleep by default after inactivity of a certain period. I am tired of getting up from bed to unplug my keyboards because they’re blindingly bright.

3 Likes

After browsing that thread, I thought: there are enough interesting and beautiful things readily available that I don’t need to self-induce that level of frustration.

I guess the hobby has changed quite a bit. That said, I did buy some keycaps on pre-order before having read the thread and before understanding fully what pre-order really means. I’m awaiting delivery. I won’t do that again.

1 Like

oh I thought it might be for SMT solder reflow, but enamel coating is neat too (and harder to hide any, uh, signs of learning on the job)

1 Like

I feel like my role on this forum is often the oscar the grouch, but I was looking at the wednesday prebuilts from TKC that they use to offload stock that hasn’t moved and thought about buying a keyboard from them until I saw they’re trying to upsell this scammy shipping insurance, on by default. Here’s the scare-language it uses when you turn it off:

If I pay with a credit card and the product isn’t delivered for whatever reason, it’s up to the seller or I will do a chargeback. Just say “no” to this stuff, and pay with a credit card if you can.

8 Likes

Can’t refund customers if you’ve already spent all the money…

5 Likes

To be fair, when companies use Route I tend to opt into it. I’ve had to go through them a few times to get replacements / refunds and it was very hassle free (FedEx failed to deliver once and Route instantly got a replacement ordered and the other time FedEx left a box in the rain with a PCB in it that got soaked and they refunded that since that was what I chose). Never heard of this Navidium one, though.

Also, maybe the moral of this story is that companies should stop using FedEx.

2 Likes

Meh, it’s luck of the draw. My FedEx deliveries are usually fine unless they do that shit where they hand off to USPS. My USPS deliveries can get delayed weeks or sometimes just disappear. UPS on a few occasions delivered crushed boxes. DHL maybe has less issues? Dunno, maybe I’ve just been lucky.

So many people are in the chain from warehouse to front door, and they all have to do a decent job for everything to work smoothly.

3 Likes

It is not much Fedex as a whole but who runs the Fedex office nearby.
It could be the same for all shipping companies, as it is mostly a matter of quality people working in the company or not (Fedex is perfectly fine in France, never had any trouble).

2 Likes

This is definitely one of the scummier things retailers are adding to their shopping carts.

3 Likes

That’s amusing to me, because where I live when they do that things actually tend to show up on time and in good condition. Maybe it’s because we have the same mail lady each time, but whenever FedEx themselves deliver it’s always delayed or looks like it was drop kicked. I was more memeing on how little I trust FedEx, but out of them, DHL, UPS and USPS where I live they are constantly the worst. At least our UPS driver is always the same and waits a minute for me to answer the door when it’s raining instead of just putting it down and leaving.

1 Like

This is “The Key Company”, right? They are based in the United States, which has strong consumer protections and generally places the liability of lost and stolen packages on the seller, regardless of whether or not the payment was made via credit card or not. It’s up to the seller to choose the suitable courier, delivery conditions (e.g., requiring a signature), and/or insurance that manages their risk.

However, it is also a good idea to make purchases via a credit card, since the credit card companies will generally favor the buyer and it make it much easier to resolve such disputes (e.g., with a simple chargeback).

Yes, this is incredibly scummy by tricking people into paying for insurance (that they do not need) in order to essentially reduce the seller’s risk.

1 Like

A bit of a minor “hmm…” (ok maybe not that minor): we are approaching the 4-year anniversary of the Rukia R2 buy. My brother bought into that one and there has been no update from Jaxx’s side in a hot minute

4 Likes