Things that make us go... hmmm

Hearing your circle of starting with a light tactile to end back up with a light/medium tactile is surprisingly common in the hobby and I think it definitely has to do with the marketing and expectations.

I don’t necessarily agree that it’s the pineapple pizza of switches (I’d give that honor to topre in terms of its divisiveness), but it’s definitely an interesting switch to talk; moreso interesting to talk about in terms of perspectives than the actual switch itself haha.

In a way, light tactiles are like an “acquired taste” that many peoples’ fingers have to learn before enjoying. It’s like being a kid and hating broccoli because you were forced to eat steamed unseasoned broccoli at the table, but then as an adult, suddenly liking broccoli because you realized there’s beef and broccoli, herbed broccoli mashed potatoes, cheesy mushroom and broccoli casserole, broccoli with cheddar, Potato, Sausage and Broccoli Frittata, etc… Now I’m hungry, great.

I think that’s how a lot of people start with mx browns, then suddenly try to go for something extremely bold like holy pandas and other huge tactile switches, before realizing what they want is something with nuance, like an ergo clear.

10 Likes

My palms love browns :grinning:

1 Like

Is this a scam?

$79.99 with free shipping … no way right?

2 Likes

Very curious, either KBDFans got over-extended on these and needed to liquidate or it’s a scam. That said, Hilymall is straight outta China, so…

3 Likes

Googling them pretty much turns up “inconclusive but sus”

4 Likes

But what if it’s like a glitch or something where they accidentally meant to mark it as $279.99 but pwned it and forgot the 2. Case in point, @chono’s previous stroke of awesomeness:

I’m to chicken to find out though. Oh well, too good to be true I’m guessing.

2 Likes

IDK… you can pay with PayPal.

So, if it was a scam, couldn’t you get your money back?

Holy smokes, it’s even free shipping. This has to be a scam.

1 Like

This is my favorite part

5 Likes

I’m seeing a TON of reviews saying hilymall is a scam. But then again, we knew it had to be.

2 Likes

I’m so sure it’s a scam now, but isn’t a D65 such an odd choice to use as bait? Like, it’s not a super popular board so the scam couldn’t be netting that much loot. Idk. Weird.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder if it’s the same kind of filter as the poor grammar used in the Nigerian prince emails. If you know the D65, you’ve got at least two layers of questioning to wade through before you commit to the purchase. If you’re a noob and just searching for a “custom keyboard” not wanting to spend a lot, well - this might snag ya.

2 Likes

Hello, we came to infrom you about your keyboard’s extended warranty

Edit: A in-stock $75 QK65’s gonna trick at least one noob, with all the hype around it

3 Likes

The way this is worded. I know it’s supposed to mean the specific UPS brown and only in the context of parcel delivery businesses - but that’s not how they said it.

Person with brown shirt: walks by

UPS: :boom::boom:

I give the date a pass because automating that is more of a pain than it should be. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

On my own site, it’s just one line of code. But they should at least have a yearly calendar reminder to change it!

3 Likes

I should note I’m not experienced or skilled with code - I’d love a single line to use for that on my own site. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I always just used a php function, but you have to be running php :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a JS one-liner you can drop anywhere in a .html file to show the current year. I’m such a nerd.

<script>document.write(new Date().getFullYear());</script>
5 Likes

Well I’ll be a buttered biscuit. Google steered me wrong thinking this would be complicated - I guess UPS doesn’t have an excuse for that after all… thanks for the lesson and snippet!

3 Likes

To be clear, that’ll need some modification depending on your design/use case for it, and it’s doing it on the client side so it can have a pretty funny number of points of failure, but yeah the point still stands; it ain’t all that hard to update a year on a page if your page is even just a little bit more complex than a static HTML file with no other assets/dependencies.

3 Likes

So many youtubers are saying that Oil Kings dont need to be lubed and some even claim it is the ‘best stock switch’.
I got my oil kings today, and they sound much more deeper and muted with lube (as much difference as any other switch or more) and smoother.
It is weird to me that so many youtubers are promoting the switch in a way that seems like they got paid to do so.
Sound test Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
(Test doesn’t represent results perfectly as it is only 2 switches and poor audio quality)

1 Like