Thoughts on DROP + OLKB PLANCK MECHANICAL KEYBOARD KIT?

looking to buy one but just testing the waters on any others…
probably will be putting cotton candy switches in.

It’s what made me fall in love with ortholinear.

I don’t really have anything bad to say about it. Shure it’s not some exotic mounting or crazy design. But for the price u pay it’s worth it.

6 Likes

They are amazing. Super easy to get started, and tons of fun stuff you can do to customize them to your liking:

• Hotswap so you can change switches if you want to
  • Easy QMK config with a ton of resources out there since so many people have them
  • Lots of stick on feet options if you want to change typing angle
  • Easy to drop in foam between bottom of case and PCB
  • Easy to put foam between plate and PCB
  • Lots of custom plate options out there, again because so many people have them

My advice is to go with the acrylic case for your first. It goes really nice with all kinds of keysets, and the newest Planck and Preonics come with the underglow LEDs already soldered on (used to have to do that manually). If you want to solder a little, the board supports rotaries in several spot and that’s another fun addition.

5 Likes

I agree with @skepp, there is nothing mind blowing about the Planck but there is nothing wrong with it either. IMHO it’s priced just right for what it is. If you’re interested in one now would be the time with them being on sale.

Edit: @zev pointed out something I forgot about the Planck, there is a ton of really cool & weird accessories you can put on it. From solenoids, to beepers, to rotary encoders, you name it you can probably make it work with a Planck PCB.

3 Likes

Reinforce the usb port when you get it, either with solder or hot glue. They have a tendency to just pop off.

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with this kit. IMO, one of the best ortho boards out there, especially for the price and availability!

3 Likes

ty:)

ty:))

1 Like