Thoughts on ZoomTKL and QK75?

I had the great advice that, since I now have an abundance of switches and keycaps, it only makes sense to buy another keyboard for them, ahem :wink:

Two GB that currently have my attention are the ZoomTKL and the QK75, they both seem solid and -to me- good looking boards, and I donā€™t mind the idea of Bluetooth. They also seem to be flexible enough to be modded towards a sound profile I like (whatever that might be by the time they arriveā€¦). And budget-wise theyā€™re both ok.

I already have a 75 layout keyboard, so leaning towards the Zoom, but wanted to check with what people, who already own of of the other QK or Zoom keyboards, think of them?

I doubt you can go wrong with either. I have the Zoom65 and love it!

I also just built my WKL QK60, and that one is my current daily driver.

I am going in on the QK75, but will likely pick up the Zoom TKL on an R2 or itā€™s next restock, as I am assuming they will likely keep restocking every 90ish days like they do with the Zoom65.

2 Likes

Thanks, thatā€™s very helpful! I didnā€™t realise that the Zoom keyboards might keep coming back.

I love the Wild Greenā€¦and those JTK keycaps, but they are cherry šŸ«£

I like your setups - looking swish! Are you happy with the sound?

1 Like

Oh, on the Zoom65, thatā€™s not wild green, it just just the standard black case from the Olivia Dark version, and the keycaps are Aluvia with the ā€œhihihiā€ novelty enter key and a polished copper novelty ESC key. I also swapped out the lnob and bottom weight for the rose gold ones to match the rest of the build.

This was kind of my *first * ā€œendgameā€ board.

I went with the full foam config, FR4 plate, stock WS stabs, and lubed Alpaca switches. I definitely feel like I got a return on my time invested, as it sounds great to me. Perfect summer board because between the keycaps and my wrist rest, the aluminum keeps everything cool.

The QK60, I went with the bottom case foam, no plate foam, FR4 plate, stock Owlab stabs, and lubed KTT Rose switches. Keycaps are Osume Mochi. Itā€™s quieter than the Zoom65, but itā€™s so nice to use all day. Being wireless is also an added bonus.

I went WKL and split-backspace on my configuration because I felt it balanced out the top row, and I liked the shine-through of the blockers through the acrylic, but could commit to the HHKB layout.

The QK60 went together smooth as can be. The Zoom65 I followed the build guide because there are a couple of steps you need to pay attention to, but nothing too crazy.

Qwertykeys and Meletrix are both killing it in the ā€œEntry Levelā€ quality department.

alexotos has build streams/reviews on both:

Zoom65
QK60

You honestly cant go wrong with either one :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Ah sorry, my bad, I meant in the promo pictures for the TKL, ahem.

But Iā€™m glad you explained you config, because now that I had a closer look again, I realise just how perfectly it comes together! A really great looking board!

I am curious what you like about the FR4 plates - I tried one briefly in my Ginkgo and really disliked the sound, not sure exactly why, maybe a bit to much ā€œin-your-faceā€ for me despite all the foam I stuffed in ? :face_with_monocle: or maybe I just didnā€™t give it enough of a chanceā€¦ I put in a POM plate yesterday and I love it! Together with the Black Sesame switches it sounds lovely to me.

I guess itā€™s a nice dilemma to have to decide between two equally great boards :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I canā€™t quite bring myself to go past the beginners segment (famous last words), so Iā€™ll ponder a little longer.

Next step will be finding a nice full or 1800 keyboard for my brother under $250 (preferably before Christmasā€¦). I keep going back to Keychron, but I feel thereā€™s something more interesting out there.

1 Like

I actually donā€™t mind POM. I have it on another board I own. I picked it mainly to help diffuse the RGB on the board the board itself wasnā€™t flexy at all.

Iā€™m a linear fan, and am just now starting to come around to long poles, so FR4 was a good mix between fit, sound, and looks for me. I am still trying to find an aluminum plate that I like, but havenā€™t found one yet.

I have a forged carbon plate for my Iron165 that I will put in when my hotswap PCB ships next month. Right now, it has the stock aluminum plate and solder PCB. Itā€™s not bad, but not my favorite feeling/sounding board in my collection. Itā€™s beautiful to look at though!

I have PC, CF, and FR4 coming with my Sonnet in January because I have a feeling like that board is going to be my main for a loooooong time. Was even considering the copper plate to match my weight, but will wait until after I build it to see if I donā€™t find perfection in my other 3 plates.

Those Black Sesame switches are my next switch pick-up. I can never seem to get them paid for in my cart before they sell out.

Keychron honetly doesnā€™t make awful boards, as long as you go in not looking for something flexy. I have a Q1 V2, and after some minor modding and swapping out like 4 sets of stabs, I have found a combo that works for me.

Board is still pretty stiff, but itā€™s easy to work on and it a solid build at itā€™s price point. I use it a bunch to test out switch and keycap combos. Learned a lot about tuning and modding stabs on that board as well.

Keychron has LOTS of options that are priced really well, and stuff is in-stock most of the time. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m probably going to get the Zoom TKL. Seems like a good mix of options and a really neat design with the glass bottom. Only thing Iā€™m worried about is the shade of green, one of the people who reviewed the board got a green unit and it didnā€™t look anything like the render/proto but hopefully thatā€™s just a matter of green being hard to capture on camera.

2 Likes

I am really hyped for the QK75. I already have a QK60 and Link65 here and both are just amazing. So the QK75 fits in perfectly and the best thing of all: it comes with an ISO PCB option. That really makes me happy as a ISO User.
Also the colors are just great, the Ano Green and Spray Coated Black look just very great.

2 Likes

that does look like a great board! Tempted myself, but am still trying to be reasonable :wink:

I really like the black sesames! feel good, sound good - they are just right for me.

I I have the Q1 V2 as well, and am waiting for a POM plate, hopefully it comes next week. Been trying out a few different switches, but nothing so far ā€˜clicksā€™. Weā€™ll see igf the POM plate changes that. I otherwise quite like it. I really like the grey and yellow keycaps, I just wish they were thicker and less, well, thin and cheap. I havenā€™t changed the stabs, they seemed fine after some lubing, but weā€™ll see. I think Keychron will work nicely for my brother, without being too intimidating - just need it to have a numpad, and then he can fiddle and mod to his heartā€™s content. :wink:

1 Like

I really like the green! I think whatever shade, itā€™ll look quite nice, though keycaps might be trickyā€¦maybe the Dandy ones? but theyā€™re expensive and Cherry (not a fan of cherry). Perhaps something along the lines of botanical, but both of those could also be too much greenā€¦maybe something greyā€¦ :slight_smile:

@zitres

yes ISO is hard to find in hot swap particular, Iā€™ve learned in looking for a keyboard for my brother! And then thereā€™s the keycapsā€¦if you have any hot tips for German Iso sets, let me know :slight_smile:

I really like both keyboards, and am stuck on the fence - though Iā€™ve just heard on the radio, that indecisive people are more intelligent than decisive one :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™ll take that as my excuse :smiley:

2 Likes

PBTFans with International Kits is my favorite right now. Nearly every set has it available right now and some sets even come with relegendable keys. I am totaly in love with those. Some Group buys are having extras available now from ePBT, KAT, KAM, MW and GMK often nowadays which is also nice.

For ISO DE i try to keep a small list with many options, maybe you can find something:

2 Likes

Whoa! Thank you, thatā€™s amazing!