Tofu84 75% from KBDfans

I actually would prefer this board over the KBD75 if I had to choose between the too. I’d guess that it would probably sound better than the KBD75 and I don’t like the acrylic mid-layer.

Personally I don’t like the cramped layout and I currently use it every day so I’m well used to it, but cool to see KBDfans churn out another solid option for new keeb enthusiasts.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/diy-kit/products/tofu84-black-75-mechanical-keyboard-kit

7 Likes

This will sell really well when the introduction he polycarbonate version.

I like the simplicity of tray mounts.

Same. Felt that way about the NK87. The girth of a TKL would totally invade my deskspace, triggering my other peripherals into some kind of medieval revolt for sure.

1 Like

This looks to be an actual decent replacement for the KBD75 v1!

Not my cup of tea, but I think it can be an attractive pull for some newer members in the hobby who pride themselves in practicality.

You know, the people who think, “well it has all the keys I need in the most compact form, therefore its the most efficient keyboard!”

Without realizing why TKLs and full sized boards have physical separation between typing clusters.

5 Likes

I would guess these days most people learn to type on laptops and tablets on very cramped keyboards to begin with. They may never have realized the benefit of having some spatial separation between key blocks. Even Apple’s compact Magic Keyboard smashes all the keys together.

For $40 more you can get the D84, which is gasket mount with a nicer housing. Too bad no hotswap PCB option is offered with either board :frowning:

What’s the D84 keyboard? I haven’t heard of that one.

It’s right there, next to the Tofus.

1 Like

oh lol. i never look in the ‘fully assembled’ category xD thanks for linking it haha

Dremel off that center mounting point!

2 Likes

This, I think without that post it could be a pretty swell feeling board. I did the same with a tofu and it felt really nice, I hear it’s even better when you use orings right under the pcb and go plateless as well.

1 Like

It’s interesting how many people do this and say how much better the feel is and KBDfans hasn’t noticed… If it doesn’t do anything but add to the experience, I wonder what keeps them from producing boards without the center post.

Hey there, does anyone knows how much this board along with the aluminum plate and the pcb weights? Thanks!!

Aliexpress shipping says that it is 1.77kg

heh, I don’t know why kbdfans is still not making removable middle post for their tray mounts. It would make their boards even more sellable…:stuck_out_tongue:

I think it can be an attractive pull for some newer members in the hobby who pride themselves in practicality.
You know, the people who think, “well it has all the keys I need in the most compact form, therefore its the most efficient keyboard!”
Without realizing why TKLs and full sized boards have physical separation between typing clusters.

This was my exact thought process, you read my mind. Literally created an account here just to ask if you could perhaps elaborate more on why I might be underestimating the cluster separation?

2 Likes

Cluster separation is mostly important due to muscle memory. Navigating across the “chasm” between the typing cluster and your navigation keys is actually pretty helpful for your body/mind to segment those areas on the keyboard.

When everything is cramped together, it becomes much easier to either not develop the muscle memory for that nav key, or simply to fat finger it and accidentally hit the wrong key.

You slip hitting the esc or 1 key? hope you don’t mind F1’s help menu popping up (depending on the program), etc etc etc.

Also aesthetically many don’t find it looking as nice.

1 Like

I also find it easier to find keys without needing to look down, it’s way easy to find the arrows or delete or escape on a board where they are separated without needing to take my eyes off the screen