Tom says hi

Hi I’m Tom, born in the fabulous 1983. I’ve been in this computer game for quite some time now (~22 years). I remember only being able to dial in on Friday evening for max. one hour to join IRC servers. I consider myself lucky growing up 50/50 with internet and without.

My passions are photography, landscapes in general (camping) and technology. I work as a release manager on digital products for a large outdoor retailer in Europe.

I’ve never really been a keyboard guy. I guess my wife would disagree with the accumulation of boards over the years.

At work, I work within the Apple eco-system and use a wired or wireless (depends if I need to input lots of numbers) keyboard. At home, I switch back and forth between a Corsair rubber dome keyboard or CoolerMaster Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Blues.

I like the switches but there are a few things to reconsider: I can’t get used to the TKL format, with TK. Numlock activates the TK, numlock off gives you access to arrow keys etc but I don’t get used to it.

I’m a heavy typer so I usually bottom out on all my keyboards. My children bedrooms are next to the home office, so at around 9PM I can no longer work in the home office space because of the noise of the switches.

That’s how I rolled into this. I decided to get myself a new keyboard, again, but after seeing @TaehaTypes on Twitch and Youtube, it started to grow on me to build my own. Nothing too fancy, just to get my feet wet.

I bought a Tofu 60% alu in grey second-hand and ordered Tealios V2 linears, with a 60% PCB and brass plate from KBDFans. (Still waiting for the shipment to arrive, “LHR under clearance” at time of writing). I already lubed the switches and the stabs (Krytox 205g0). I’ll be doing a left 2U shift, so I can have a right 1U shift and arrow keys on this 60% layout.

The only thing undecided is the keycaps. I have a history in development, so the Dracula theme really appeals to me but since I also love nature and the outdoors, the announced GMK Ursa is also a viable option.

Oh, and for those interested, I’m living in Belgium (born and raised). I used to live in the city center of Antwerp but moved out to “Boom”. It might not sound familiar, but it’s hosting Tomorrowland every year!

3 Likes

Welcome Tom, glad to see more EU people join the hobby :slight_smile:

Welcome to Keebtalk! Hope to see more from you as you feel things out!