Topre Hi-Pro keycaps on regular Topre housing (non Hi-Pro)

Hello all,

there are scattered posts in the forum, where members show Topre Hi-Pro keycaps on HHKBs. I believe, these originally came with the Hi-Pro housing.
From what I gather, the plunger is the same height, so these Hi-Pro keycaps should fit the regular housing, right?

Can any of the Topre experts confirm this?

If they do work with the regular housing, how’s the experience with sound and wobble? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

3 Likes

they fit just fine on regular stems and housing tops. but gonna page @chono and others who’ve had extensive typing re: wobble

1 Like

It ain’t that wobbly, nothing out of the ordinary tbh.

1 Like

Those housings though, man I wish they’d start offering the full hi-pro experience.

1 Like

Hi-Pro keycaps are compatible with regular housings, but standard keycaps aren’t compatible with Hi-Pro housings. The wobble isn’t that noticeable but it does feel better with Hi-Pro housings.

1 Like

Thank you all for responding :hugs:

FWIW, I found that the beautiful Hi-Pro 39-AA-0101 seems to have regular housings as well. Thanks to Haata for sharing all his photos.

6 Likes

I’m so intrigued by these legends. They don’t look like anything I find on today’s Japanese layouts. Do any of you know more?

1 Like

Looking at this Wikipedia entry on Kana, I can find some glyphs. Unfortunately, I’m not educated in Japanese culture, but I’d love to find out more.

To bring light to my own curiosity, I looked into this. As far as I understand from searching around, the above Topre layout displays Katakana-Kana glyphs.

I’m still confused as to why I can find Topre (Realforce/HHKB) boards with keycaps for both of the Kana versions.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m sorry for nerding around :D, but the more I read up on Japanese, the more exciting I find the language.

This passage from Wikipedia says it all:

Katakana was also used for telegrams in Japan before 1988, and for computer systems – before the introduction of multibyte characters – in the 1980s. Most computers of that era used katakana instead of kanji or hiragana for output.