Trackpoint mod

Has anyone done a Trackpoint mod to their keeb? I’m looking for the part that’s as close to the stock ThinkPad trackpoint part as possible.

Not sure if you’ve seen this, but the Yoda II has a ThinkPad-inspired track point. Though it isn’t sold separately.

2 Likes

I haven’t, but in theory, it’s definitely possible. You could source an official Lenovo module from buying an old ThinkPad keyboard assembly (x60 to xx20 generations should be cheap and plentiful donors) and wire them up to your controller. They’re PS/2 based on all assemblies from those generations (I think they still are, but not 100% sure), so you can hook it up to your QMK/TMK controller.

Deskthority Wiki has photos of various TrackPoint modules from those generations, so you can get an idea of the module size to help with your planning. Here’s a T410 TrackPoint as an example (MBx pins are for connecting the mouse buttons):

Note that the module is quite big and the TrackPoint is mounting low of course, so if you want to put the TrackPoint between some keys and you’re not using low-profile switches and keycaps, you may want to try ‘breaking-out’ the strain gauge assembly (the nub itself) from the rest of the PCB and run wires between them instead. In theory, at least. Trying to put a TrackPoint between keys would of course have another obstacle - keycaps that accommodate it. Hence, I guess most just default on the idea of such a mod and pay up for a TEX Yoda or Shinobi instead.

Anywho, good luck! Give me a shout if you need any clarification or help later!

1 Like

The X1 Carbon Gen 7’s TrackPoint is PS/2 based, so you’re probably right.

2 Likes

Thank you for this information, it’s fantastic.

I’ve loved ThinkPads for a really long time, and I want to see if I can DIY my own Trackpoint in this keyboard: Post Your Keyboards! - #2237 by patcoll

For me it would be an ergonomic improvement, and a fun test of my DIY skills :smiley:

I thought I remembered a GB recently, but I missed it. Apparently this person ran up against the same constraints, so he started another GB thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/nbhp75/gb_sk8707_trackpoint_module/

It would be neat to figure this out and have something practical and usable.

3 Likes

I’m curious how this plays out.
I had a similar idea but for a keyboard that has no intended space for adding a module, I’m thinking of replacing the top key below the glowing triangle of the xbows nature with a trackpoint or put one above said key (and then put a typewriter keycap onto the trackpoint to make it look like all the other typewriter keycaps on the keyboard):

The big question, if you incorporate it into an existing keyboard (especially one that comes with its own driver for LED and key reassignment) is, if you could just solder the trackpoint to the circuit board and run it with the existing driver (I guess that would not work) or if you would have to treat it like 2 devices (mouse/trackpoint and keyboard) that are connected to your PC via one multi-usb adapter

(having the usb of the trackpoint and the usb of your keyboard start from the port of your keyboard that was originally only meant for the keyboard itself).

1 Like

An interesting alternative, albeit a very intensive one, would be designing your own PCB for this use.

I think the issue with having a trackpoint for many boards is the clearance between the plate and the existing PCB. Drilling out space from the existing PCB isn’t always an option since there could be traces existing there (although those could be solved with some clever soldering and wiring.

Honestly I think it would be really cool if the xbows board didn’t have that center RGB LED and had a trackpoint option hehe.

Otherwise, as you mentioned, you’ll probably need a USB hub if you want to unify the usb connections to a single output. If there’s extra space in the case it would be really cool if you could achieve that internally! From my memory of reviewing that board, I think it would be an extremely tight fit if a fit at all :grimacing:

1 Like

Something like a NanoHub could probably help with the tight fit.

(https://www.tindie.com/products/tinkerboy/tinkerboy-4-port-usb-hub-breakout-board/ or https://www.tindie.com/products/mux/4-port-nanohub-tiny-usb-hub-for-hacking-projects/)

1 Like

For my first custom keyboard I wanted to start with an existing keyboard that I could modify as much as I want and can instead starting completely from scratch and having to do everything myself.
This way I could also use the default driver (for LED effects) if I want to.

There is even an X-Bows keyboard (the Knight), that at least has not glowing transparent arrow window (I don’t know if the pcb underneath still contains an LED or not).

Concerning the space in the case, I was playing with the thought of how expensive it would be to get a lower half custom case milled out of a block of metal because the feet that I bought for the keyboard don’t fit onto to the plastic lower casing with its beveled/rounded edges.

1 Like

Follow-ing up on this thread a year later…did anyone try this out? Any success? I’m embarking on the same path. I tried the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard and loved the trackpoint. I ended up going with the Dygma Raise but miss the trackpoint enough to want to make my own.