Unusual Keyboard Pet Peeves

I’m a big fan of knobs, but only when they’re the singular control for something and start/stop rotating at the min/max for the value they’re controlling. Knobs on boards are frustrating for these reasons, to me.

2 Likes

One day I hope to build a keyboard that would look like the love child between the univac and nixie complete with toggle switches for the lock keys, key locks that activate a password macro when turned and a led power button that will initiate a shutdown sequence. Just for you, I’m gonna put the biggest ass volume knob on there :star_struck: :grin:

4 Likes

I definitely tried to get on the flipped SB train, but the second I booted up a game I felt like a dunce and my fingers were all fonked out. Maybe for a design and typing board only :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was super into knobs until I looked at my desk and remembered I love the knob on my audio interface anyways lol. I do agree sometimes it can end up looking very interruptive to the design overall rather than something that feels like it is part of the design language of the board.

Incoming controversial peeve: The staggered keyboard was invented in 1868 and we are still using the the same layout. I’m glad my needs are met (ortholinear with colemak layout) but, I have a peeve with any tradition that is perpetuated because it made sense at the time it was invented and is still being used when it no longer a technological justification for it.

4 Likes

You mean like the imperial system?

4 Likes

“Imperial system” should be renamed since only we in the US use it. I vote for Freedom Units (FUs).

6 Likes

Our whole thing we got here (keyboards at all) is going be be niche eventually, and you know what? phone keyboards are ortho. tbh that is the future. I know kids that can hardly type on a real keyboard but can pound out essays on their phone in no time. It will never be a full replacement, but in general I think that’s where we’re headed. Phone keyboards are cool in that when they came out most of the planet didn’t already have muscle memory for them, so they could do whatever they want. There’s still innovation happening in phone keyboards, the swipe thing with one finger is pretty cool!

3 Likes

I hope so! I would like to see a lot more options in terms what the keyboard community offers. Your right, there are cases where our interaction with our computing devices is evolving. Speech to text for certain use case makes a lot of sense and it’s finally seeing some traction.

3 Likes

UK uses it

Hi, just saw my name @'d so I thought I’d chime in.

I don’t have too much to say on the topic; I was fairly inactive during the phase of input compared to the other members, since I was at university and going through exams. It’s also quite a long time ago so I can’t remember all of the details.

As @Zambumon covered above, we weren’t designers of the keyboard; that was all done by GMK. We made input regarding layout, case profile, and certain features. I seem to remember coming at it from the perspective of a “high end” custom owner, which was probably the wrong angle to take. To give you an idea of involvement, the things I remember making input on, along with the other members involved, which ended up in the final product are:

• Primary bottom row layout of 1.5/1/1.5/6/1.5/1/1.5
  • USB C
  • Angled case design

I made quite a lot of suggestions regarding the aesthetics of the case - I was quite specific in my suggestions about the ratio of horizontal/vertical bezel dimensions, but that didn’t end up making it into the design. I didn’t feel comfortable trying to push my own subjective aesthetic ideals, since it was being designed by GMK and since, well, they were my subjective thoughts and nothing more. I gave feedback on the final design aesthetic, which I thought turned out nicely. I also suggested including ISO and 1 or 2 other bottom row layouts in the plate/PCB, which also didn’t make it into the design; that was probably for the best.

There was only one aspect of the design which I had genuine concerns about, and that was the mounting. I thought that the plate/PCB assembly (the plate/PCB are solidly connected to one another with numerous metal tubes) being screwed directly to the bottom casing would result in too rigid a mounting. I now recognise that this is once again subjective; some people really like rigid boards, but at the time I thought it was getting to the extremes of rigidity. I suggested alternatives, but again - I didn’t want to push too hard.

I have one of the prototypes in my possession. It’s one of the highest quality, if not the highest quality, keyboards I’ve owned in terms of machining, anodisation and details like the LEDs. As I expected, I dislike the mounting; it’s far too rigid for me. But if you’re a lover of rigid boards, I really can’t think of anything that can compete with the C70 in that aspect.

Overall, I enjoyed working with everyone involved and I think the C70 turned out nicely, despite my personal dislike for the mounting. I agree it would be nice to see it available for use with QMK and VIA though.

4 Likes

Accent colored enter with accent colored arrow keys on a 65%. It looks so bad to me.

5 Likes

Sprue marks on visible keycap surfaces…

Like on the side of my flipped space bar that faces me! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m honestly no fan of the way flipped space bars look - but once I tried it I couldn’t go back, with the exception of a few space bars whose designers were forward-thinking enough to round-out the hard edge that faces the user. :+1:

5 Likes

Ugh. Bluetooth is indeed wireless, but wireless is not Bluetooth. I fall for these shenanigans every time.

1 Like

Agreed. Really puts the board off balance visually.

1 Like

There was something that I didn’t like about the mainstream 65% and I didn’t know until your comment :slight_smile:

This is probably why I like more the layouts like fc660

2 Likes

Like a misplaced tetris block :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Funnily I don’t like them (FC660, VA68M, Clueboard, etc.) either—mostly for the looks (which is fine with the standard 65%), but also for the missing keys. Have a VA68M, too, and hate the fact that I don’t have Home/End in that top right key cluster. :slight_smile:

But then again, I know, I’m clearly a guy for either TKL (maybe without F-row like the Drevo Calibur/Keycool KC-71) or ≤ 60%, even better ≤ 40%. Those slightly extended 60% keyboards just aren’t mine even though I own a C70 and love it for its look—but hate it for its layout and its firmware. :slight_smile: (The rant about its firmware can be found elsewhere on Keebtalk. :wink:)

For me recently its seeing protruding gaskets on polycarb cases. It just ruins any semblance of elegance to me.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people keep trying to start keyboard build stream channels. We all know how to build keyboards.

7 Likes