Unusual Keyboard Pet Peeves

What are some unusual/small keyboard pet peeves you guys have that others probably wouldn’t have?

I’ll begin:

• People clicking their finger(s) before a sound test

• I know this is sometimes to synchronise audio, but it ruins the sound test as I’m there for the switch, not for your fingers! Edit it out and I’m good.
  • Tray-mount screws not being magnetic

• Kind of explains itself but good Lord is it annoying when I’m mounting a tray-mounted case and the included screws are not magnetic and so it just falls and gets stuck in-between the PCB and the plate :sob:

As you can tell, my peeves are kind of pathetic but they would make all the difference if they were solved!

14 Likes

Snapping the fingers is a way to know what kind of volume the recording uses cus the snap have a pretty similar noise volume whoever do it.

11 Likes

Everytime I come across non-magnetic screws, I scream loudly to celebrate the encounter.

8 Likes

lol. See Glarses youtube channel :laughing:

3 Likes

Yes! That drives me nuts… it also reminds me of this short video.

Let’s see…

• The very slight imperfection on my Ducky One’s case (front bezel bows-out by maybe a milimeter and squeaks when pressed - the bow happens to be right where I rest my thumb). This is really what instigated my falling down the rabbit-hole of metal enclosures and I’m still tumbling three years later.

• Lock-light indicators whose brightness rivals the Sun, especially if they are blue. Looking at you, Filco.

• Weirdly prioritized layers that can’t be changed like those on the RK61; where the arrow keys are the default, and things like the question mark have to be accessed via the FN and the shift key.

5 Likes

Here’s one. Was desoldering a Ducky Shine 7 yesterday. The edges of the plate bend upwards instead of downwards making it infuriatingly tricky to pull the switches in the bottom and top rows. :triumph: Couldn’t fit a switch puller between the metal and the switch. I’m sure they didn’t have desoldering (or wookiess) in mind when they designed it.

3 Likes

Dear lord this has happened to me too many damn times.

as someone who has sold tray mount kits. yes I agree 1000%. Now for the even more annoying part. I source screws and they are awesome and magnetic. I purchase said screws again. same company, same everything as far as I can tell, and I end up with 2000 screws that aren’t magnetic, yay.

6 Likes

Haha, yeah. Carrying a bad team and the streamer is the most accurate. :joy:

Shit like this (and inconsistencies of plastic mixes purchased from the same supplier) is a major part of why I’m so reticent to start trying to scope out stuff to do a (very low-volume, at least initially) run of a personal design I’ve been starting to play around with. I kinda get why so many larger manufacturers try to have full supply-chain ownership.

3 Likes

When there ain’t no support for Nordic in the keycaps-set. =/

4 Likes

The rage fits I’ve had from non-magnetic screws on tray mount. Grrrrrr.

3 Likes

Having to install unsigned software from a Google drive to use the programmability features of my keyboard.

Lack of bluetooth (I’d even take 2.4ghz with a dongle) on most customs. How amazing would a chrome Rama dongle be? Who’s with me?

9 Likes

Hell yes. I’ve sold keyboards rather than install software like that.

No thank you. Bluetooth never has worked well for me and I would lose a dongle right away. Wireless is going to work like crap in a metal case with a metal plate anyway unless you have a real RF engineer spend a lot of time on it and design specially for it.

2 Likes

People not using alpha colored tilde and pipe backslash when they should be is probably one of my small pet peeves

8 Likes

oh if we’re going to route, then flipped space bars and sub 40% boards are annoying as well! But I dont know that to be an unusual occurance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How about high dollar builds with generic bumpon feet. It’s a double-edge sword. Looks cheap, but easy to replace down the road.

6 Likes

Agreed

What!? I love flipping my sb. It’s so comfy! :grin:
Plus, that’s how the keebmunity knows you’re one of the cool kids :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Sharp edges on metal cases. I love my Tina, but… So. Many. Sharp. Edges. Every time I use my Tina regularly, I can see small cuts on my thumbs where they contact the case. I think I’m going to completely replace my remaining MX boards with the Rama Kara and other plastic boards in the future.

2 Likes