Unusual Keyboard Pet Peeves

I’ve got a number of keyboards in my collection now and one trend I really dislike is: hidden screws on a lot modern boards.

It’s not like people will see them all the time anyway. They’re underneath the board or on the plate, so I’ll never understand why companies go out of the way to completely hide them sometimes. It just makes maintenance that much harder for consumers…

5 Likes

Oh yes, hidden screws is just a pain in the ass, can’t understand why they still do that :neutral_face:

1 Like

A downside of creativity. By nature, artists and designers are compelled to be different. Industrial design, in particular, is more a continued struggle to avoid being labelled a copycat.

I think that because of the whole “screw-less” thing that is taking over the scene is what is to blame, but if that ends up becoming a thing, I think that including something like instructions or a placard that shows you what to do would be a good thing to have come with boards or something just so there is some semblance of understanding of what the hell goes where

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I’ve been in stores a couple of times and I see people looking over brand name keyboards that are extremely expensive but not very great quality… and I want to scream at them and tell them it’s a waste and they should get a custom or even just a higher quality brand! Buttttt, that’s weird for me to go up to them and teach them a valuable lesson, so instead I watch them spend $200 on trash. Am I a bad person? Maybe.

1 Like

Take solace in the fact that they are happy… just like I was when I bought my first board with MX blues. Then I ate from the tree of knowledge and have been chasing endgame happiness ever since :pensive::tired_face:

6 Likes

Endgame is a myth, the most important is not the destination but the journey :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Same brother. What I do is I wait until I’ve got like 10 things to list. I take all the timestamp photos, create one big sale thread and spend a week clearing shit out. It’s not so bad then. Usually end those sales with about 3K so that’s nice too

3 Likes

Because people are use to associating higher quality with name brands.

2 Likes

Also, non-standard bottom rows. Seriously, can anyone tell me what the purpose even is?
I get that people who buy from big name brands probably won’t change their keycaps, but it’s still quite annoying especially because those said keycaps aren’t high quality, so they shine and disintegrate in record time (not to mention that some of the “gamery” legends look horrible, but that’s just me).

However, I’m glad there’s been some progress in this though.

4 Likes

I 100% agree, while I type this on my Shinobi. :rofl:

3 Likes

Plates that are too tight are also a big pet peeve of mine :angry:

10 Likes

3d printed everything… IMO somethings just shouldn’t be 3d printed like switch openers or switch pullers.

4 Likes

but… but… my switch opener is 3d printed and I love it. I own 2 other metal ones, but I have used the $5 printed one for probably over 5 thousand switches.

4 Likes

Your gentler on stuff then me which is probably a good thing! :wink:

This. Freakin tight plates.

Now check out the following combo:
Tight plate and/or big switches AND hotswap

(With coldswap you can workaround the problem by first inserting all the switches into the plate)

1 Like

Keyboards are not cute. Keycaps are not cute. Stop calling keyboards cute. :triumph:

[ best Dale Gribble voice ]

Do you mean to tell me this isn’t ka wa ee aye eff?

7 Likes

6 Likes

This doesn’t read like a pet peeve, this reads like you picking a fight. Please let people enjoy things on their own terms, I think we should be able to come at this hobby from different places and with different goals.

2 Likes