Using a keyboard without a case

I’m wondering if there are ways to use a mech keeb without a case. I have a kbd75v2 PCB on a brass plate with Glorious Pandas and it just like the sound as I type on it on a bare deskmat. Now I want to put it on some sort of minimal bottom case or a stand that lets me set an angle. Is there such a thing? Maybe some foam? Looking for ideas.

1 Like

Maybe carve up some Styrofoam or craft foam blocks?

1 Like

I would be worried about ESD shocking and killing it.

1 Like

I used to type on a bare gergo pcb with just some silicon feet to stop it from scratching the table, took it around to classes and such, and never had an issue with ESD.

1 Like

Yeah, what if you had stand offs that screw mounting plate to pcb could screw into. Then the other end of stand off got some rubber feet threaded on?

4 Likes

I’ve used Silverstone foam to make my caseless boards. Silverstone foam is sticky on one-side and the other side doesn’t slip. Just add layers of the foam cut to same size below the PCB. Layers should vary in size to add incline, bottom-most layer should be full-size so board can sit flat.

If you like muffled sound, put the board with foam bottom inside a box made out of cardboard. Fill sides and cavities with tissue papers as needed to sculpt the sound to your liking.

7 Likes

Cork tiles would be an interesting variant.

2 Likes

I haven’t done it with a full board, but I have a pcb-only macropad that I have held up/angled with these m2 standoffs. It should work for any pcb with tray mount holes.

3 Likes

My caseless 6x4 macropad (left-half of a Let’s Split+VIA) with just foam bottom. Mauves are better plateless IMO. Sickest macro on it is “Reset TS” which restarts typescript service. Urgh.

1 Like

My low-profile keyboards are all basically just PCBs, and I like to stick thin foam stickers on the bottom of them. I found the perfect ones are for something called “fingerboard”, which seems to be a kind of miniature toy skateboard?

1 Like