What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Yeah that’s how the mods are on Dark Skies too. Still probably gonna grab DCS Soware if it’s still in stock next week though. It’s a classic set for sure & like I’ve been saying who knows what will happen with SP. Sounds good, looking forward to your pics man!

I wanted a little variety so ordered some deskmats from qwertykey (Romania) – not to be confused with qwertykeys (China).

Haven’t bought anything from this shop yet despite they offer you a 5% discount with the KBDNEWS coupon code (along with other 130 shops btw), and wanted to share my positive experience.

Everything was delivered in less than 3 days. (Since I placed the order in the evening, it was more like two days.) Sure, the store is relatively close to me physically (it would take me a 6 hours round trip to show up in their showroom and collect the package in person), but it’s still in a different country, so I’m pretty impressed with the speed.

Very cool packaging (a bit battered and bruised in the photo), but looks very professional anyway.

The icing on the cake: stickers and free caps with the qwertykey logo in each box.

All in all, I can recommend the shop to anyone, especially if you are located in the EU.

7 Likes

Ooo I really like the rice one

1 Like

DCS Soware

Compared to GMK
Excuse the terrible photo here:

Better comparison closeup:

Alphas and mods are both slightly darker on DCS version.

DCS version the teal legends are lower contrast The teal used is slightly more blue than the GMK which is slightly more green

9 Likes

PaiGu stabs arrived, I am happy with them compared to my old MelGeek. No wire wobble

5 Likes

Just got my arc. Ugh it looks so good, I cant wait to build it

UPDATE: Welp, I built it. couldn’t wait/resist lol

6 Likes

Summary

4 Likes

Class80 R2 from KFA came in last night; mostly posting that to mention that’s the last of the stuff I was waiting on from Keebs For All, so all of it is indeed present and accounted-for.

Package sit-rep

I’d been concerned about it because I’d not gotten order confirmations or shipping notifications for any of those orders, even after reaching out to support - but at least support did confirm the statuses and the keebs made it here!

There is some minor superficial damage to the finish where the keyboard slipped out of and rubbed against the straps during shipping, but it’s only visible when the light hits it just so. Given how rough the outer box looked, I’d say the case did it’s job rather well.

One other item was a little damaged; one of the decorative weight inserts had come out of its thin plastic bag and jostled around in the package, getting scuffed. That could have been prevented by using the same small padded envelope the light module came in - just a suggestion for R3 if they ever do one.

I’m not posting a picture of my own right now because this keyboard is so gorgeous I feel like anything less than busting-out the whole lighting and photography kit would be doing it a disservice - no dimly-lit phone pics of this thing. Let’s just say I’m glad I got the green and that so far it’s exceeding my expectations as much as R1 did in terms of quality.

Here’s some killer photos from markerchun;

The color I got and the keyset currently on my other Class80:

Another config a little closer to the one I’m planning:

Honestly I think it would take a video with shifting lighting conditions to communicate what this finish is like. Same goes for this wild one on the steel weight:

In terms of material, steel is an downgrade from the previous brass - but let’s be real - it’s a fully internal part whose only purpose is to add mass to the build. If any single part in this thing could stand to have a corner cut, it’s this one - and man, is that coating a good consolation prize. I think it looks fantastic.

Last but not least is the updated bottom weight, which now looks like a Nintendo handheld that never happened, instead of the NES controller of the first round - and as far as I can tell, those are just straight-up Pokémon screenshots silk-screened onto there:

Mine’s got Pikachu

10 Likes

Oooh, baby. This is such a nice board. I might buy a green one if they ever are in stock as extras. I think it might look good with glossy HSA WoB. It’s always a challenge to make a looker like this sing with just the right keycaps.

2 Likes

Keebaforall is shipping their preorder extras I think, but they only have b-stock winkey. So if you want a-stock WKL you’ll have to look elsewhere.

2 Likes

Dangit. There are green extras at MMKeyboard. I would buy one immediately if I didn’t just this morning realize that I actually purchased TWO Gehirn boards. I honestly don’t remember this. But I just got shipping notification this morning and it checks out. I did buy from two different vendors. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

More resin cause I’m a resin junkie, this one is called Mr. Dot Eater & done by the awesome Save Caps! They also threw in a B stock blank (the one that looks stained glass) which was a very nice surprise! Save got some crazy resin drawing skills, the heart one is just wild. I also got some JTK Max trays in from the man @mwb! Huge thanks for sending these my way! Gets me one step closer to having all my caps in some type of protective storage!

3 Likes

Epomaker Sea Salt Silent switches.
They just arrived and are much louder than the Kailh Box Black my keyboard came with. Higher pitched, which imo is more noticeable but also just plain louder. By a lot.

I wonder if they accidentally put the regular non-silenced Sea Salt linear in there, instead of the silenced variant.

OUTEMU silent linears are affordable and quiet. Try for Silent Peach V2. However, they tend to need lubing for best results.

Bobagum linears don’t need lubing. They are better with it, but still pretty quiet. However, I’m not sure how they do with north-facing RGB.

If you were using tactiles, the OUTEMU Cream Yellow Pro V2 are pretty good, especially the “Jade Yellow” variant. They are semi-transparent, dustproof stems that are probably fine with north-facing RGB, and factory-lubed.

They aren’t too intense. Deliberately produced as medium-intensity Panda-like switches.

Overall, unlubed “silent” switches can be loud to people of sensitive hearing. This is because they still have friction and scratch. More friction than usual, in fact. Because of the dampeners.

That’s why it’s almost universally a good idea to lube them with 3204 or something, not to mention spring-lube. Kailh silent switches like Deep Sea Pro don’t need to be lubed, but they are louder volume-wise than OUTEMU.

4 Likes

Okay, because of your post I tested some silent Sea Salt Lemon from KBDiy in an NCR-80.

Unfortunately, these Sea Salt Lemon silent linears are louder than some other silent switches.

I tested them alongside [lubed] OUTEMU Silent Lemon/Lime tactiles, and stock OUTEMU “Butter Yellow” and “Topaz” silent tactiles.

The OUTEMU switches were all quieter.

The Sea Salt silenced linear, if I am testing the same thing you are, are indeed dampened. They are muffled and muted, but they are not entirely silent. There is something of a whacking sound, they thump.

It may have something to do with housing collisions, but they are louder on the upstroke and bottom-out than the OUTEMU silents.

They aren’t as loud as Ergo Clears in an NCR-80, but they aren’t silent.

In your place, I would try some kind of silent switch that is decent out-of-box. Maybe Bobagums if they are okay with north-facing lighting. I think OUTEMU “Butter Yellow” and “Topaz” silent tactiles are decent and cheap.

People seem happy using AKKO Silent Penguin in stock form, but they are tactiles. Medium-weight and intensity. But you can just put them in a board, apparently.

EDIT: I am typing this on a “silenced” NCR-80.

Having tested several "silent " switches on it, I would offer the following advice for you:

-Pay someone to lube some OUTEMU Silent Peach V2 for you. Allegedly, the Silent Peach V2 has capability to diffuse light through the stem or something like that, so it may be compatible with North-facing RGB.

It won’t be the cheapest solution, but it will be effective. [Use 3204].

The same strategy might apply to Bobagum. More expensive, but very quiet. You would have to ask someone if they are compatible with north-facing lighting.

-Try samples of Kailh Midnight Pro linear, if you can. The tactile version is good and reasonable. Not as quiet as OUTEMUs, but maybe you’ll get lucky.

3 Likes

I put that set on my beige class80 after you mentioned it. :blush:

I’m using this as my iPhone wallpaper now

9 Likes

Long wait for this one.

Argyle. Now I have to decide which PCB to use Black or white :thinking:

13 Likes

FInally bit the bullet & joined Drop’s keycap club since I’ve been really liking DCX caps. Ended up getting a $50 coupon for my first one & grabbed DCX WoB with it. Ended up coming to like $36 shipped!

5 Likes

So cool, I would personally go with the white PCB for the silver case but either will look great I’m sure! Hopefully there is some extras of this to grab, I’ve been kicking myself for passing on this one since people started getting them.

Wow! Was that GB about two years ago?

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at What did you get in the mail today? (Part 2).