What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Don’t ever have that regret b/c there’s always, ALWAYS, something bigger and better coming. I promise.

2 Likes

where do you get your alps? I have been kind of looking for some browns for a while

1 Like

Thanks! Definitely like the more neutral and go-with-anything colors also :smiley:

A certain wretched hive of scum and villainy… aka mechmarket

4 Likes

I’ve joined the original group-buy (last December), but I would do the same thing as you – pass (at least for the drop’s extras) based on those first photos. But as “pixelpusher” said, no regret is a good strategy :slight_smile:

hmmm maybe i gotta start looking then… I have had the case and pcb and caps sitting in a box for months now but keep forgetting I need switches

1 Like

I got a good haul today, haven’t got any keyboard stuff in a while. A couple weird flex PCBs I needed for some upcoming builds, some blueberries for idk what, some gazew bobas because I was curious after y’all seem to like them so much, a single speed chain whip, and a new track cog because the one I have isn’t very round and I think I would be happier with one less tooth

4 Likes

I also was curious about the gazzew bobas after reading about them here, and they arrived today… now I guess I have to get a pcb to put them into.

9 Likes

Eventually™

5 Likes

This is a very good photo of what Nautilus Nightmares actually looks like, IMHO. So many of the photos I see have modifiers that are straight-up blue, which is not accurate at all.

2 Likes

South Korean BOX Switches? Does the “interference-free top” relate to ease of RGB use?

Or are they also more in-spec with MX stems as well?

EDIT: I get it now. The top housings are shaped to avoid interference with GMK keycaps when in North-facing switches.

2 Likes

Aye. Apparently, South Korean company called Archon commissioned Kailh to produce modified versions of the BOX switches with 5-pin bottoms and more tapered tops. Unlike some of Kailh’s other commissioned switches (like Creams), however, these appear to only be sold in the Korean market.

Yep - the tapered top housing plays nice with GMK and such. I bet Kailh felt a little silly when they realized they didn’t have to shape the housing the way they did initially. On traditional mx-likes, that space houses the leaf - but on Box switches there’s nothing there but housing plastic - so shaving it down was a simple change.

Stem-wise, they’re the same as normal BOX switches - though there does appear to be some lube on the center post. These are of course the re-tooled stems and should be safe for any given keycaps.

While these Art Box switches appear to be exclusive to the Korean market (aside from proxy sellers), Kailh has integrated that “interference-free” tapered top-housing design into the silent versions of the Box switches, but changed the shape of the stem - presumably to stay within whatever agreement they have with Archon.

All Box switch bottoms are interchangeable, but the silent stems only work with their paired top housings because of the stem shape. Aside from that, the Art Box top housings will work with normal Box switches and visa-versa. In addition to the two extra stabilizing pins, the Art Box bottoms also have the ported middle pin for draining of dust and other contaminants, similar to those on some but not all of the other models - not sure which versions have them and which don’t.

3 Likes

ALF DC60. Pristine. Was elated to open this up this morning. I have been on a tray mount kick lately (just joined the Bumper 60% Group Buy from Zapcables too!)

8 Likes

My first mech. Keychron K2 with red switches.

6 Likes

Gazzew Boba U4 switches

I’ve been looking forward to these for a minute. Haven’t gotten to test them at home yet, but trying them in my hands makes me excited for when I get home tonight. Nice big, round bump with just a smidge of post-travel and a nice dampened bottom-out.

At first glance, the U4 stems here are more of an opaque milk-white vs the more translucent “clear-ish” white of the prototype versions

9 Likes

Got my Bobas today as well, and fully agree with this: the housing is very slightly translucent, and the feel is nice. Excited to play with the housings a bit tomorrow with different stems and springs.

6 Likes

Bobas arrived here too. I messed around with springs and lube. Decided I like them best with stock springs and no lube on the tactile legs. They’re nice. I would call them an improved Zilent. If you like Zeal Zilents, then you might also like Bobas. I’m still not sold on the MX silent tactile experience yet. We’ll see.

Also got Thic Thock Marshmallow switches all the way back from November of last year. JWK recolor with no lube and a nice progressive spring. Cool switches, but they need films.

Have a good weekend, all.

9 Likes

Wow. Today really is boba day. Received mine in the mail today as well. Very excited to use them, they feel great on their own and hopefully when built.

5 Likes

ebay for vintage ALPS boards is your friend here, mechmarket not so much unless you’re made of money. On ebay search for just vintage computer keyboards. instead of vintage mechanical keyboards. Sometimes you can get lucky & find some nice vintage boards for really good prices that way cause the seller is unaware of the aftermarket madness surrounding MKBs right now.

4 Likes

Bless you for this knowledge. :trophy:

3 Likes